Talk

Advanced search

Luxor, Valley of the Kings - prices

(11 Posts)
thenightsky Sat 01-Nov-14 21:53:45

Off to Makadi Bay in about 10 days time with Thomas Cook.

Cannot find a price for an excursion from the resort to Valley of the Kings so thinking of going idie - been emailing Egyptian company.

Has anyone done this trip via Thomas Cook reps? and how much was it. I cannot believe how difficult it is to find out a price. Nothing on website and phone line is staffed by people who's English language skills are so poor they don't understand what I am asking for sad

thenightsky Sat 01-Nov-14 22:03:56

bump

mummymeister Sun 02-Nov-14 09:18:57

Have you been on the Home office advice about travelling website to check what your planning is OK? personally I wouldn't be happy about doing this myself as an indie.

waddleandtoddle Sun 02-Nov-14 09:34:43

Ive been to Luxor (but before said troubles). Luxor is very small. When you go to Luxor temple there are loads of tour guides that approach you. I took up an offer from one of them - quite an old guy - and he was brilliant. His tour of the temple was ace and he took me in to closed areas so I decided to take him up on his offer of a tour of the valley, both King's and Queen's. It cost £30, which included transport such as ferry and taxi the other side. It also included all the tips and also ensured that no touts approached or charged extortionate entrance prices. What to watch out for - don't pay too much as to cross the Nile is pennies. You will always be taken to shops. Make sure you have enough camera battery. I did have his business card but my wallet got stolen with it in. Its a fascinating trip - you'll love it and have so many questions answered. Its extra to go in to Tut's tomb and there's an interesting story behind it too with respect to his advisors burial - so make sure your guide explains it!

thenightsky Sun 02-Nov-14 23:20:17

Thank you waddle. I read on tripadvisor the King Tut tomb was empty and not worth the extra entrance fee.

I've now booked with the indie company (egypt portal tours) as they have loads of good reviews.

Beanie99 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:52:54

I agree with the bit about King Tut's tomb, I paid extra to get in, they take your camera off you at the entrance and there is nothing in it at all!! If I remember rightly, you are behind a glass screen and look down into the actual chamber (unlike the other tombs). It was definitely not worth the extra fee.

ooerrmissus Thu 06-Nov-14 14:59:29

Went to Luxor a few years ago. My top tip (for all of Egypt actually, not just Luxor- is to respect the dress code. For me that meant long linen trousers and long sleeved linen shirt, with a hat or scarf to cover my head if needed. For DH it was long trousers and shirt which covered the tops of his arms. We were treated noticeably differently to other tourists who had turned up in shorts and sleeveless tops; being shown closed off areas and let in to tombs that were officially closed. I have also got a photo of me in King Tuts tomb as a result.

thenightsky Thu 06-Nov-14 19:11:49

ooerr We found that in Jerusalem and Cairo a few years ago. We went in long linen trousers and long sleeved kaftan type tops and I wore a large hat. The tourists in shorts and cropped tops (why, in that heat?) tended to be herded about and harassed more (especially in Cairo).

MillyMollyMama Fri 07-Nov-14 00:55:39

Of course there is nothing in the King Tutankhamun Tomb, the artefacts all in the Museum in Cairo. What did you expect, everything in situ? It is worth the extra moey just to see where Howard Carter excavated and where the objects were found. It was one of the world's greatest discoveries. All the other tombs had been raided shortly after they were built. This tomb is very small but very important.

ZaraW Fri 07-Nov-14 19:15:46

Another vote to see Tutakhamun Tomb. And Mr. Sunshine the guide is fantastic brilliant Eygptologist. We found him by change by booking a tour at a random travel agent. It's years since I've been to Luxor but after Googling he was featured in the Daily Mail (don't hold that against him smile) a couple of years ago.

thenightsky Fri 07-Nov-14 22:54:18

Milly...no of course I didn't 'expect' everything in situ. I'm well aware that there is a lot of it in the Cairo museum as I saw it there many years ago.

This time next week I'll be there... a place I've wanted to visit since I was a small child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now