Talk

Advanced search

Good rental car for 5 x adults- 4 hour journey

(12 Posts)
Lindsay81 Wed 29-Oct-14 15:38:01

Hi all- I have a 4 hour drive to do with me and 4 other adults in Spain (and back again at the end of the holiday). We will also have 5 x small/ medium bags (carry-on types so holdalls or wheelies).

Has anyone got any experience of a car that would be comfortable so that we are not all crammed in? I don't just want to go with a regular 4 door/ 5 seater car because I know that will be a squish, and all the bags might not fit in the boot.

Thanks!

MillyMollyMama Wed 29-Oct-14 20:43:34

A large estate car? Not sure of your budget but a larger 4 x 4 would work too. You might be constrained by what the hire company can offer you though!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 29-Oct-14 20:48:21

something like a Ford C-Max (tall 5-seater) should be ok

otherwise, if 3 crammed into the back seat isn't a goer, look for a 5+2 (eg Zafira) as long as you're not all 6-footers grin- with one seat of the 3rd row folded down there'd be plenty of space for luggage & they're not usually wildly exspenive

which airport & what month?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 29-Oct-14 20:51:03

or one of those Postman Pat type cars - Peugeot Partner, Citroen Berlingo or VW Caddy? only 5 seats but loads of head height & massive luggage space.

what's your budget?

InvasionOfTheBodyShatners Wed 29-Oct-14 20:53:01

Citroen C4 Picasso has 5 full-sized seats and a big boot, but is averagely big to drive iyswim. It's not as long as a 7 seater.

I think a Ford S Max is the same.

noramum Wed 29-Oct-14 22:44:38

We have an VW Passat estate and I would not recommend it for such a journey.

Better go with a large 7 seater, the ones where you have 5 normal seats and two collapsible ones in the back. It give everybody lots more room.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 29-Oct-14 22:50:10

We rented a Zafira in Spain with 4 kids aged 14, 19, 22 & 25. The elder 2 are girls, both 5'7; the 19-yr-old was close to 6' at the time (& DH & I are both around that height)

Most of the time we had no luggage but we did manage to get from our accom to the airport on the last night with all 6 in the car & also 6 wheeled holdalls. It was very tight but doable grin

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 29-Oct-14 22:57:25

I don't think I've ever been given the rental car given as an example when I booked - you just book a 'class' don't you?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 29-Oct-14 23:04:06

Yes, you do, but if you book a 5+2 that's what you should get even if it isn't the model indicated

Lindsay81 Thu 30-Oct-14 20:05:11

Thanks everyone- so helpful! :-)))) yep, I think I'm gonna have to go with a 5+2 type of car. Not gonna be cheap but I know I'll regret it if I scrimp.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Thu 30-Oct-14 21:07:01

Is it Malaga? I can recommend malagacar.com (except in high season, they're a bit dear then).

Lindsay81 Fri 31-Oct-14 21:34:25

No, it's Santander. I guess i just use one of those travel compare sites. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now