Talk

Advanced search

Marrakech in May ...whaddaya reckon. Anyone been ?

(33 Posts)
AnyFucker Thu 16-Oct-14 18:01:01

So, we are tied to school hols and a relatively short flight.

Sick of baking to feck in Spain/Greece in July but find them too cool for my love of sun and sea swimming in May.

I hear good things of Marrakech but never been anywhere like it.

Any experiences, tips, best places to stay, confirmation the weather will be fab at May half term ? Or even Easter.

Cheers

sailorsgal Sat 18-Oct-14 17:52:47

Haven't been before either but going very soon. smile
We are staying in the medina in a riad but there are some lovely hotels around. The weather is still warm around the mid twenties.
How old are your kids? we are child free this trip.

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 18-Oct-14 18:09:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 18-Oct-14 18:09:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sat 18-Oct-14 18:13:39

Marrakech is lovely and fascinating. Riad tizwa in Marrakech is very likely to be nice www.holidaymarrakech.com/home.php?lang=en I've never been there but my SIL runs riad tizwa fes and I've met the British owners who have very high standards. Otherwise if you want total relaxation and lazing by pools a modern hotel with a pool would be great.
Djemaa el fnaa is extraordinary, even now when it's 50% tourist attraction.

sailorsgal Sat 18-Oct-14 18:42:52

restaurant recommendations would be much appreciated. smile

Taz1212 Sat 18-Oct-14 21:45:17

I'm going at Easter with a 9 year old and 12 year old (plus a reluctant DH grin) I'd also love any restaurant recommendations!

AnyFucker Sun 19-Oct-14 17:57:01

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for recommendations. Don't really know where to start (as a seasoned Europe-visiter)

Will just have 15yo DS with us and prefer more European style hotels with pool etc.

AnyFucker Sun 19-Oct-14 17:57:38

what is a "riad" btw

sailorsgal Sun 19-Oct-14 18:31:06

www.riadalmassrah.com

sailorsgal Sun 19-Oct-14 18:33:14

try again www.riadalmassarah.com

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 19-Oct-14 18:55:15

A riad is a traditional Moroccan house built around a central courtyard. They look like nothing from the outside but are usually huge and stunning on the inside.

Bonsoir Sun 19-Oct-14 19:01:15

There are lots of hotels in the palm grove outside Marrakesh town that are great to relax in. You can take a taxi to the Medina or Gueliz any time you like - and most hotels have shuttles.

Go for dinner (at least) at La Mamounia. Unmissable.

VirtualPointyHat Sun 19-Oct-14 19:04:08

we stayed at the riu tikida garden, i think with Thomson

It was lovely. Very cared for in calm hotel, which was lovely to relax in after the madness of the main city!

sailorsgal Sun 19-Oct-14 19:06:16

I have booked a spa day and lunch at la Mamounia. grin

Laquila Sun 19-Oct-14 19:13:05

Marrakech is a fascinating, crazy place, but FWIW I've never found a trip there to be restful or relaxing! We're not usually ones for staying in big European-type hotels but I'd definitely consider it in somewhere like Marrakech - whilst the riads can be gorgeous, it's hard to find one with a decent-sized pool, and you'll certainly appreciate one in May!

It's an amazing place to just wander round but it can be hard to avoid unwanted attention - as the kind of person who likes to amble round at my own pace, nosying at things and just looking, I found it a bit frustrating sometimes!

Visting a hamman is an entertaining experience, though, and eating in the Djemma el-Fna of an evening is good fun, and fascinating.

I found Essaouira, on the coast, to be a lot more laid-back and relaxing, although not as entertaining.

Wadingthroughsoup Mon 20-Oct-14 16:47:05

I am in Marrakech as we speak, having been here since Friday. We're leaving for the airport in an hour.

It is a fucking BONKERS place. As a pp said, it's not exactly relaxing because it's so hectic, noisy and exciting. But if you have a nice hotel/Riad, you can chill out there for a few hours during the hotter part of the day to get some respite from the madness of the city.

This weekend it has been 36-38 degrees, which is much too hot for me personally, but I've managed to bear it because the city is so fantastic. I imagine it'd be pretty hot in May.

It's a wonderful, exciting place to see. Such a short flight from the UK, and the same time zone- but so very different culturally.

The food is beautiful, the people are very, very friendly (but many/most want to sell something!) The Hammams are incredible- and I say that as someone who wouldn't be very interested in going to a spa at home- I find that sort of thing boring, but the Hammams are a different matter.

sailorsgal Mon 20-Oct-14 21:59:47

I can't believe how hot it is! I thought it would be around the mid twenties! Will be there this week. grin
I am also going to an orphanage whilst I am there.

SophieBarringtonWard Mon 20-Oct-14 22:04:45

Essaouira (sp?) is more chilled out although I personally really like Marrakech. You could also look at Agadir and resorts near there, there are lots of surf schools you put your DS into if he is interested? Personal experience of Surf Maroc but there are plenty of others about.

AnyFucker Tue 21-Oct-14 20:40:59

Thanks all. Surfing ? Gosh, never thought there would be surfing thlsmile

sailorsgal Sat 25-Oct-14 17:00:37

its amazing here! Highly recommended!

livedtotellthetale Wed 29-Oct-14 16:05:33

excited now booked to go on the 3rd of November fo four night just me and DP, any recommendations on places to eat vist, we are staying in a riad in the medina

sailorsgal Wed 29-Oct-14 16:56:33

we had a lovely lunch at cafe de Arab and can recommend al fassia for dinner in the new town.
if you have space in your suitcase I can recommend two children's charities. Which riad are you staying at?smile

nannyafrica Wed 29-Oct-14 20:08:48

We are going the week before xmas, We have booked cookery lessons at this place;
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293734-d4209997-Reviews-The_Amal_Moroccan_Restaurant_and_Women_s_Training_Center-Marrakech_Marrakech_Tens.html#REVIEWS
Kids can do it too.
Look on Tripadvisor loads of things to do and restaurants. Trip into the desert is also planned with the Riad we are staying in (they have car and driver)

ZaraW Sat 01-Nov-14 08:50:31

Try to visit the Atlas mountains we did a trek and it was great. The Berber people we met were very kind and hospitable and it was good to escape the hustle and bustle and hassle of Marrakech.

jardinmajorelle.com/ang/ is definitely worth a visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now