Talk

Advanced search

Taking a baby on a cruise

(12 Posts)
Philoslothy Wed 23-Jul-14 18:26:00

I am thinking about booking a last minute cruise for the family.

DD will be about five months, we will be taking five other children from primary to university Ashe.

Has anyone taken a young baby on a cruise, I thinking that it may be an ideal holiday for a baby.

OP’s posts: |
MB34 Wed 23-Jul-14 18:38:54

I took DS on a 3 night cruise when he was about 8 months and it was fine. What are your concerns? We went to Mallorca this year when he was 19 months - running around after him in the heat was much harder.

Bumply Wed 23-Jul-14 18:49:26

Check with the cruise company, as some have lower age limits.

tryingtocatchthewind Wed 23-Jul-14 18:56:32

Yes definitely check, most companies state 6 months or even 12 months if it's far afield. We took our 18 month old and it was great, there was a free night nursery so we could have dinner in peace

Philoslothy Wed 23-Jul-14 20:01:13

I don't really have any concerns, dd is a very laid back baby. I had not thought of lower age limits.

MB34 Wed 23-Jul-14 20:16:02

Ooh, I didn't know of a lower age limit, but my mum booked it so maybe she was asked.

If your DD can go, hope you have a good time!

Philoslothy Wed 23-Jul-14 20:47:19

I wanted to book a transatlantic cruise and the minimum age is 12months, it is even six months for other cruises. sad

HettyD Fri 01-Aug-14 21:18:50

Also check policy on swim nappies in the pool...some don't allow them although sure there is a way around that...enjoy!! A cruise a great holiday for differing ages!!

Anthracite Fri 01-Aug-14 21:33:08

I don't really think that swim nappies will be an issue. Cruise ships typically refresh their pools with new seawater every day and so the pools are way too cold for a young baby.

BELLAARA Sat 28-Apr-18 09:18:10

Just thought I'd refresh this thread as I'm interested in taking out six month old on a cruise. Ideally a 5-dayer, with no flights involved.
Does anyone have any experience of P&O or Cunard or MSC?

Ta muchly

LibertyBlue Sat 26-May-18 10:04:15

We took our 10 month old on P&O Britannia. Min age was 6 months

It was amazing. Night nursery - free- til 2am. They give you a pager. I used it every night. Enjoyed leisurely dinner, shows and drinks. Sometimes had to pop back to settle her to sleep. British qualified nursery staff.

However now she’s old enough for kids clubs I’m looking at other cruise lines as P&O is a bit too “little Britain” for our tastes mainly due to the passengers it attracts (they weren’t rude or drunk, just not who I’d choose to holiday with shock). I’ve not had an issue with passengers on any other cruise line (Celebrity Costa Pullmantur Norwegian).

LibertyBlue Sat 26-May-18 10:06:13

^ if I had another baby I’d book P&O or Cunard in a heartbeat (they also have a free night nursery). I think MSC (new ships only) are the only other line to other free night nursery for babies.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in