Advanced search

What to see in Budapest?

(14 Posts)
Nokidsnoproblem Tue 10-Jun-14 15:02:01

Has anyone been to Budapest? I have four full days there in August and I am trying to build an itinerary. The only thing I have so far is the free walking tours.

I am going by myself, and I am not mega-rich...

MadameDefarge Tue 10-Jun-14 15:08:53

Vorosmarty tea shop. Jewish Ghetto. The castle in Buda. Some amazing museums.

keely79 Tue 10-Jun-14 15:12:40

Wine museum? Perhaps more fun in a group.

You could visit a spa - Budapest is famous for them. I don't think they're too expensive.

keely79 Tue 10-Jun-14 15:13:56

Or in August, going somewhere like Margitsziget (Margaret Island) would be a nice break from the heat.

Siennasun Tue 10-Jun-14 22:24:01

We went to Széchenyi thermal baths - huge outdoor and indoor complex in the middle of a nice park. It was nice and cheap.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 11-Jun-14 08:58:07

The Fisherman's Bastion and Cathedral. I remember a parc filled with old communist statues that was quite interesting. Second the Thermal Baths.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 11-Jun-14 09:28:57

We got the train one day to Szentendre which I remember as very pretty.

Andcake Wed 11-Jun-14 09:43:00

I have been a few times - love it
Baths a must - my favorite are the Gellert it can get v hot in Budapest so we would do sight seeing in the morning and spent a few afternoons lazing by the pool their (first ever wave machine which is fun)
Also a trip to Margaret island - v pretty

broadsheetbabe Wed 11-Jun-14 22:27:47

Try Memento Park in Buda, a final resting place for Communist statues and Trabant cars!

Margaret Island is lovely, as is Buda Castle and the Chain Bridge.

spex11 Thu 12-Jun-14 12:16:45

The central market hall is great for food, gifts and just browsing. Upstairs are lots of cheap cafes where the locals eat. It's near Liberty Bridge.

CecyHall Thu 12-Jun-14 12:24:53

I read this and thought of this thread

GirlWithTheLionHeart Fri 17-Oct-14 07:37:09

Bumping to see how your trip went! I'm off there soon but I'm sure it'll be much colder than when you went!

fussychica Fri 21-Nov-14 17:55:57

Anyone been recently? Off for a few days next week and would welcome any tips.

CumbrianMum2 Fri 23-Jan-15 13:52:38

DD going with three friends in July - two x 17-year olds and two x 18-year olds. (Two of them very anxious about first holiday abroad without parents.) Is it a safe city? Is there much to do for kids of that age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now