Talk

Advanced search

Easyjet hand luggage question

(21 Posts)
omama Wed 02-Apr-14 21:21:31

Never flown with them before. Anyone know how strict they are?

They say they guarantee you can take on a bag of 50 x 40 x 20 cm,

If your bag's dimensions when flat is slightly bigger than this (60 x 40 x 20), but it can be squashed down to the required size, will it be considered acceptable?

Thanks

MillyMollyMama Thu 03-Apr-14 01:16:39

No. If it is packed and is bigger they will be difficult. Possibly not at your departure airport but they will make you put it in the hold on the way back where they are real terriers at some airports. They will charge you on the spot.

I would never fly with them. I hate all this can't take this, can't take that. They are also very difficult about handbags. Allow them on board here but not on the way back. DD then put handbag into her carry on case, but they said it was then too fat (stuffed) and charged her for it to go in the hold even though the case dimensions were the required ones! They can be total b.....ds. I prefer an easier life and a good selection of clothes on holiday. Other people love Easy Jet. They are not even that cheap sometimes.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 03-Apr-14 07:08:59

They can be VERY strict and officious when it comes to cabin bags. They would not allow you to take it into the cabin because it is already too big, it would need to be placed in the hold.

DelGirl Thu 03-Apr-14 07:19:40

I've taken a bag that is bigger but squashed down to the right size. As long as it fits the slot at check in, it should be fine.

DelGirl Thu 03-Apr-14 07:21:27

Also I've flown with easyjet loads of times and never had any problems.

DelGirl Thu 03-Apr-14 07:21:55

Also I've flown with easyjet loads of times and never had any problems.

dustwhatdust Thu 03-Apr-14 09:15:35

Easy jet compared to Ryanair are puppy dogs ( Ryanair being Rottweilers !)

Get in the queue at the gate to board early- only if there are not enough spaces for your cabin bag in the over head lockers - happens when busy flight and you amongst the last 10 % to board do you have problems and then they will take away and put it in the hold - at no extra cost -

I think people are mixing them up with Ryanair who actual incentivise their boarding gate staff to spot oversize bags and charge - the staff get a remuneration for every 10 charged at gate bags !

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 03-Apr-14 09:20:54

The bag length of 60 is too big in any case and a smaller case will have to be used.

From Easyjet's website on such matters:-

"easyJet’s allows ONE item of cabin baggage per passenger. If you bring ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels, we guarantee it will always travel with you either in the overhead locker or, if necessary, under the seat in front of you.

If you choose to bring ONE bag that is slightly bigger than our guaranteed size but to our maximum allowed size limitations, 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels, on some busy flights your bag may have to go into the hold".

Lozislovely Thu 03-Apr-14 09:25:11

I went to Amsterdam in Jan and flew with Easy Jet. My bag was ok size wise but on the way home a guy was told his case was too big, despite the fact he'd flown out with it with no issues.

It was literally just the wheels that took him over the size allowance.

Big argument started and the guy took the stuff he wanted out of the case and left the case behind rather than pay an excess.

Was quite amusing but I did feel sorry for him.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 03-Apr-14 09:48:28

My daughter had the same with a bag that was too big because of the wheels, she tried to wrench them off! Charged £50!

Also, OP, one piece of hand luggage means exactly that; you can't have separate handbag, they'll make you put it in the case at the boarding gate. You can take it out again once on the plane - bloody ridiculous!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 03-Apr-14 10:04:49

I would just make sure I have the correct sized bag. We are flying with EJ this summer and I will take a bag that fits so I don't have to worry about it.

MillyMollyMama Thu 03-Apr-14 10:46:42

No I am not confused with Ryanair!!! I would never use them. Ever! Easyjet abroad are officious and they do reserve their Rottweiler attitudes for the last few to board. My DD weighs about 7 st but she was really bullied about her handbag. Other overweight people had all got on with rucksacks and a small suitcase! Don't use them. It might be cheap but it's nasty!

storynanny Thu 03-Apr-14 11:34:44

It seems to vary from plane to plane.
We travelled in December with the guaranteed sized bags and ended up being requested to store them by our feet so as to allow those with the bigger size to use the overhead lockers. Prior to that at checkin there was a request for volunteers to have their cabin luggage put in the hold as the plane was full. However when we were boarding I saw cabin crew stuff oversized backpacks into overhead lockers for passengers.
I did feel that I was penalised for bringing a smaller bag by having to have it stuffed down by my feet and probably wont bother next time and go back to the original cabin size bag.

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Thu 03-Apr-14 11:44:12

Eek im travelling with them in a fortnight and must remember to measure my case. Ive used it before on the exact same flight path but they seem to have tightened their restrictions.

omama Thu 03-Apr-14 12:46:40

Thanks for the replies folks.

MillyMolly - no choice - already booked. It was the only airline we could get flights with on the dates we wanted, otherwise we'd be flying from an airport much closer to home. We are going Gatwick to Innsbruck.

We have a ds under age 5 so we should be one of the first to board.

The bag in question is a soft canvas large handbag/weekend bag, so there is no solid hard case, or wheels or handles to worry about. Its the sort of bag that flops when you put it down (hence why I wondered if providing it squished into the bag guide it would be allowed [hmmm]) Oh & I won't be carrying any other handbag as I'd already seen that it wasn't allowed.

Was just hoping I could save myself from having to buy a new bag but sounds like its maybe not worth the risk!

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 03-Apr-14 15:26:07

This may be of interest to you as well OP

From their website:-

"easyJet operates allocated seating on every flight on its network and operates a strict priority boarding system. You will be boarded in the following order:
Group 1: Speedy Boarding:

Passengers who:
• Are an easyJet plus cardholder
• Have a Flexi booking
• Have purchased an 'Extra Legroom' or 'Up Front seat'

+ Special Assistance: Passengers requiring special assistance and families (maximum 2 adults) where at least one child is aged 5 years or under.

Please note: For passengers entitled to “Speedy Boarding”, in order to take advantage of this service you must be present at the gate and ready to board within the first group of passengers. Once boarding of the remaining passengers has commenced, we cannot guarantee that you will be able board ahead of them. “Speedy Boarding” and “Special Assistance” passengers are invited to the board the aircraft first, followed by our remaining passengers.

Group 2: All other passengers on a first come, first served basis.

Remember our boarding gates usually close 30 minutes before the schedule departure time of your flights so make sure you arrive at the airport in plenty of time. Certain airport are subjects to different gate closure times. Always consult your flight confirmation email and boarding pass for details".

StickyProblem Thu 03-Apr-14 15:30:57

I fly with them quite a bit, if the bag squashes down you should be OK, and like people have said, they start to get stricter as the later passengers board because squeezing each bag in becomes more of a challenge.
But if you want to take the worry out of it, get a bag the right size. The worry is the worst part of it! At least they have allocated seats now instead of a crush.
We flew Gatwick to Innsbruck in summer 2012, DD and I had a lovely time!

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Thu 03-Apr-14 15:45:56

If you book an extra legroom seat (& theirs are very cheap) you are also guaranteed the larger hand luggage size in the cabin (if you want it - I always take a large handbag as well, inside the cabin-sized small suitcase, check the small suitcase & just take the large handbag onto the plane)

Then your 60cm bag would be only 4cm too big & if squash able you are ok.

I like easyjet - prefer them to eg Monarch. Although monarch recently changed their cabin baggage rules to allow 2 bags as long as combined dimensions are within limits. Might easyjet have done the same? Will check

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Thu 03-Apr-14 15:51:04

No, it is still only 1 bag

This is the extra legroom thing:

easyJet plus cardholders, FLEXI fare, easyJet plus Upfront or Extra Legroom customers, can continue to bring ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels – and use easyJet plus Speedy Boarding to board first in order to secure space in the overhead lockers.

only 1 of the party needs to pay for the extra legroom seat for everybody to get Speedy Boarding (it works with 2 of us anyway)

RedToothBrush Thu 03-Apr-14 16:10:14

If your bag's dimensions when flat is slightly bigger than this (60 x 40 x 20), but it can be squashed down to the required size, will it be considered acceptable?

Well we've frequently flown with them and always do this. Not been a problem to date.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 04-Apr-14 09:55:45

I actually really like Easyjet, we have never had a problem with anything, the planes are new and seem to have more legroom than other airlines and the staff have always been polite.

It will be so much better with allocated seating now. Previously when we have travelled we have had one child under 5 so I have not experienced the scrum but this year we will already have our seats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now