Talk

Advanced search

Flying London to Joburg with crawling 8 month old - on my own ...

(7 Posts)
mrsspagbol Mon 31-Mar-14 11:09:06

...am terrified.

Any tips?!

AwfulMaureen Mon 31-Mar-14 13:42:32

I've done long haul with babies a few times. The only tips I can give are to ensure she's sucking when you take off...and to try to get a spare empty seat next to you. Enquire about a sky cot...so you can put her down for a nap when it's time. Have plenty of little books and toys which she's not seen yet and see how it turns out!

At worst she will scream a lot...at best she will sleep a lot...no telling! grin

MissusMck Mon 31-Mar-14 14:01:27

I've done LHR to Cape Town many times solo with dd. At that age, make sure you've got loads of changes of clothing as if s/he is crawling they will be FILTHY! Also plenty of wipes or wet cloths to wipe hands/face etc.
Skycots are great and it's a night flight so hopefully s/he will sleep for most of it. Definitely second having something to suck on during take off/landing. You will be given an extender lap belt for take off etc so you'll be able to cuddle if s/he is scared.
Loos are a bit small for nappy changes. You won't want a huge bag in there so try having a smaller bag just dedicated to bum changes.
You may want to consider calpol or such for sore ears / teeth. Bear in mind the restrictions on volume allowed to be taken through security.
Good luck - I'm sure it'll be fine.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 31-Mar-14 14:27:00

Ensure all documents like tickets and passports are easy to find in your bag.

Which airline are you using?. Do you have a second seat?. Skycot may be now too small for DD to use.

Ask for help as and when needed.

Do not rely on the airline to fully provide re foodstuffs. Take what she likes and plenty of it.

MrsMarigold Mon 31-Mar-14 14:39:12

I did this trip on my own with my DS when he was 7 months and then flew again on my own with with my DD aged one and and DS and two. It was fine - people are very kind. Just take spare clothes for you and them, food, snacks, a favourite toy, milk if you aren't bf and usually you can can keep your pram until just before you board. I imagine the skycot will be too little my DS was clambering out and it looked really hazardous

Be aware that at Oliver Tambo they often say you will be able to get your pram back as soon as you step off the plane but they are notorious for making you fetch it from the luggage carousel. I made a huge fuss and a member of the cabin crew carried my hand luggage to the carousel where I picked up the pram be firm.

Also if your DC gets a bit mucky with food etc don't change them until it's really necessary I did this then DD vomited all over me and her and I had no clean things left.

mrsspagbol Tue 01-Apr-14 15:50:05

Thank you so much for all the tips.....I am now completely bricking it though! Lots of things I had not even thought through.

Oh my word!

Wish me luck!

mrsspagbol Tue 01-Apr-14 15:51:15

Sorry using Virgin and booked a sky cot but she is a big girl ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now