Talk

Advanced search

Anyone done Eurocamp or similar family breaks in SWITZERLAND?

(4 Posts)
Rangersandfairys Sun 30-Mar-14 18:19:02

Been there skiing with friends. The Swiss know how to do things and are family friendly. It crossed my mind that their Eurocamp or similar style would be brilliant but when I google it there is not much on their site to go by. Just wondered if anyone had been or could recommend somewhere for families in Switzerland. Just to clarify, I mean a summer holiday. Kids would be 8, 5 and nearly 3.

LIZS Mon 31-Mar-14 17:29:11

The campsites do tend to be fairly basic. Eurocamp feature these . Interlaken is a good base and very accessible to lakes , mountains and to travel around. Alternatively have a look at Inntravel, interhome or myswitzerland.com. There are also the Swiss Holiday village in Morschach and Landal parks but you probably won't hear much English spoken! Most of the ski resorts run a summer programme with lifts open and activities.

PortofinoRevisited Tue 01-Apr-14 20:16:00

And bear in mind it is extremely expensive. I thought the cable car prices were eye watering. We looked at going up the JungFrauJoch - top of the world type experience and it was extortionate. And I am normally quite generous with my holiday budget. I would go to Austria or the French Alps for a lakes and mountains experience over Switzerland. That being said we stayed at the other end of Lake Brienz from Interlaken for 3 days and the Arschlucht gorge and funicular trip to the Reichenbach Falls were highlights. The weather wasn't.

OwlMother Wed 02-Apr-14 09:58:08

My parents took us to Switzerland a lot, eurocamping. Campsites are not big and fancy, but most people use them as a base, rather than a holiday in itself. I would recommend the Lauterbrunnen one over the one in Interlaken, better location, pitches are better.

We take our dc to Switzerland most summers and are going again in July. The weather is a big variable- last year we had two glorious weeks but I can remember miserable weather. We stayed in an apartment last year, eurocamping can be miserable in wet weather. The apartment is also on a par price wise so not an expensive option.

Switzerland is expensive, there's no getting away from it. We don't eat out much when there, just lunch, rarely dinners. Having said that, there is a lot of mediocre food so you don't feel you're missing out as much as you could. Train tickets etc can add up- we buy a local tourist pass which includes most journeys so then don't worry about individual costs. We go to the Bernese Oberland. Although Austria is fab, it's the interconnected nature if Switzerland that makes us return. There is a lot within a small area and you never feel there's any wasted time getting from a to b.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now