Talk

Advanced search

I haven't packed for a flight in nearly 15 years!

(12 Posts)
Collection Sat 29-Mar-14 22:16:41

I can't really remember and I'm sure it's all changed post 9/11 anyway, so what are the rules? Are there some things that can only go in checked or hand baggage?

We're going on a trekking holiday that will take in some remote locations and the advice from previous participants is to take lots of snacks for DC. Can these go in the hold luggage or will temperatures be too extreme? Am thinking biscuits, chocolate, nuts and dried fruit (unless anyone has better ideas!)

ilovepowerhoop Sat 29-Mar-14 23:01:06

where are you going as some places have restrictions on what food items you can take? There are restrictions on liquids in hand luggage - limited to 100ml sized containers and have to fit in a resealable clear bag with max total of 1 litre.

Collection Sun 30-Mar-14 09:14:43

Thanks. It's Spain. Is food ok in the hold?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Mar-14 09:22:27

www.spain.info/en_GB/informacion-practica/consejos-viaje/consejos-practicos/requisitos/ ~ this suggests that you can take whatever food you like in the hold except for meat/dairy products. I remember taking boxes of cereal on holiday when the kids were younger.

Collection Sun 30-Mar-14 09:30:25

Ah that's great thank you

eurochick Sun 30-Mar-14 09:32:54

You can put pretty much anything in the hold - the restrictions are for hand baggage. The most relevant exclusions are anything sharp (so penknives, scissors, tweezers, etc in the hold) and liquids are limited (Ilove gives details). If you look on the airport website, this should give full details.

Collection Sun 30-Mar-14 09:36:55

euro, i was wondering if the conditions in the hold are suitable for food rather than it being allowed iyswim. I seem to remember being told it gets either very hot or very cold because it's not pressurised

iklboo Sun 30-Mar-14 09:39:42

I was going to start a thread on these lines! So I'm ok to put all the sun cream, shower gel, shampoo etc in the suitcases then?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick - last time I flew abroad was 1995. blush

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Mar-14 09:55:22

yes suncream, toiletries, aerosols, etc are fine in the suitcase as the liquids limit is for hand luggage

iklboo Sun 30-Mar-14 10:04:04

Lovely, thank you.

specialsubject Sun 30-Mar-14 10:53:14

hand luggage: everything valuable, essential documents and medication, nothing sharp, no liquids, gels or pastes over 100ml and total of them must fit in the plastic bag. Details on line.

hold luggage: nothing valuable, nothing fragile, nothing that will suffer in low pressure.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Mar-14 10:58:32

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now