Talk

Advanced search

Trip to the algarve with 7 month old

(7 Posts)
capet Fri 28-Mar-14 20:59:52

Travelling to the algarve for first holiday with baby.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice about two things really.
1. Bring travel system pushchair(uppababy vista) or purchase umbrella folding type pushchair?
We're flying with aer lingus.
I know the uppa baby is bulky but he would probably be more comfortable in it, it has a good sun visor/insect bet etc.
But would bringing it be too much hassle and risking damage?
What have other people done?

2. We're planning intending a car and wondering if anyone has any advice re bringing our own car seat. (Can take it as part of luggage allowance) or rent one there? Would a rented carseat be fitted/meet safety requirements etc?
Not sure what to do

Sorry this seems like quite a long post!
Any advice appreciated

alwaysneedaholiday Fri 28-Mar-14 21:05:17

I would take your travel system - bit more of a hassle on the journey, but worth it while you're out there. We have never had any problem with damage, but not travelled with Aer Lingus.

I would also take your car seat - we had an awful experience with a car hire company which provided us with dreadful seats. The straps wouldn't tighten etc - we were terrified of having an accident. Since then we've always taken our own and feel much more comfortable.

Have a great time!

capet Fri 28-Mar-14 21:33:23

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah I agree it prob would def be better to have the travel system when we're there, it does feel like hassle though. and i hope it wont get damaged!Will bring sling too I think.
Good to know re the car seat, was going to just chance hiring one there.
How did you pack your car seat for checking it into the hold?

alwaysneedaholiday Sun 30-Mar-14 10:52:14

Is your baby still in the first car sear? I think we just had DS in it until we got to the plane and then handed it over at the same time as the pushchair.

I suppose the other thing you could do is to buy a decent lightweight buggy that you will use again anyway, and take that. By the time my DS was 18 months (can't remember exactly!?) he was in a Maclaren anyway - could be worth investing in it a bit early?

capet Sun 30-Mar-14 21:16:53

Yes he's still in the first car seat that attaches to uppa baby base.
I assumed if we bring the uppababy that we'd have the buggy attachment obviously so would check the car seat in at check in desk?
But then not sure how to pack it so it doesn't get damaged in the hold?

capet Sun 30-Mar-14 21:19:10

The logistics of all this car seat/travel system are really annoying! Hard to know what to do and need to decide ASAP because I need to book a rental car so need to specify that I want to rent a car seat if not bringing my own and will need to rent a big enough car to fit uppababy and cases etc if bringing it!
Aagghhh

WalterandWinifred Sun 30-Mar-14 21:36:20

We took DS1 to Portugal at 5 months. I bought a Chicco Liteway buggy- it still reclined flat and was comfy for him but I wasn't worried about leaving it to the mercy of baggage handlers, unlike his travel system. We've used the buggy so many times since for him and his brother, it was worth getting.

We hired a car seat with the car at Faro, which was fine, but on subsequent trips took our own travel one. I don't think I'd want to check in a car seat unless it was very well packaged which might be a pita at the other end?

Have a great trip. It's a great place to go with little ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now