Talk

Advanced search

Three year old worried about flying

(5 Posts)
lemontwist Thu 27-Mar-14 21:47:15

We are going on a big family holiday at the end of May. There will be 12 of us - my parents, two siblings and partners and their children. We have 2 DSs, 3 and 2. DS 1 who will have just turned 4 when we go has been very quiet about the holiday and insisted many times he doesn't want to go. I've been surprised by this as I would've thought he would have been excited about the prospect of a holiday, an aeroplane and time with Granny, Grandpa and everyone else.
I finally got to the bottom of things when he told me he was scared about flying, mainly worried he'd fall out of the aeroplane. I have obviously reassured him that this could never happen and have talked him through what happens on the plane and at the airport. He seems a little better but its obviously still bothering him.
Any one else had this? Was wondering about books about flying but not found anything age appropriate yet. Any recommendations or suggestions for what I can do or say to reassure him?

Atlastadragon Thu 27-Mar-14 22:17:27

Not had this, but we have a Topsy and Tim book about flying?

lemontwist Thu 27-Mar-14 22:21:45

Oh I've not seen that one. He loves Topsy and Tim after MIL dug out a few old books. I'll have to have a look, thanks.

mummymeister Fri 28-Mar-14 07:35:26

Mine were a bit older when we first flew but I found a couple of youtube videos to show them. mainly they wanted to know what it would be like, the seats the window view the noise and it was more the fear of the unknown rather than the flying itself. might be worth finding some suitable clips that you can show and talk through?

mckenzie Fri 28-Mar-14 18:20:01

We had a book called Amazing Aeroplanes, perfect for a 3 year old, part of a group of books (terrific trains, super ships or some such titles). Only about £4 each I think. Thin books, not A4 but slightly bigger than A5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now