Talk

Advanced search

What do I pack in my hand luggage .....,

(10 Posts)
Swifey Thu 27-Mar-14 07:28:11

For my 2 year old, when its the only hand luggage we can take on. I am flying on my own as my dh is away for business and I have taken the opportunity to pop to Sweden to see family. I am having to put the pushchair in the hold, so I will have to carry everything, including ds when he is fractious or I need to be quick. I don't think they have airport pushchairs at heathrow, although they do at Arlanda coming back.

eurochick Thu 27-Mar-14 07:29:53

You can usually take the pushchair to the bridge/steps to the plane, so you won't have to carry him for long.

Only1scoop Thu 27-Mar-14 07:30:59

Swifey....you can use pushchair until you board....it can be collapsed just before boarding or at gate and put into hold.

SpottyTeacakes Thu 27-Mar-14 07:32:33

Yep we folded the pushchair down at the actual plane door and they passed it down to the man on the ground smile

Swifey Thu 27-Mar-14 07:36:46

Unfortunately I can't as its a Phil and teds pushchair and in order to fold it and put it in its bag, I have to take its wheels off etc. it's fine when dh is with me but takes a little while so I'm going to put it in the hold. As I am taking a car seat I can only take one item of luggage, so will pack our outdoor gear in with the pushchair. I need it because we will be doing some big walks and the terrain and weather may be inclement!

Only1scoop Thu 27-Mar-14 07:40:54

We always tended to pack buggy in its carry bag and check it in, then use the backpack through the airport as would use this when walking.

Although from memory dd was quite heavy in it at 2 if it was just me travelling.

Swifey Thu 27-Mar-14 08:00:18

The back pack is a great idea, but I can't carry it with him in it now he's so big!

ChallahBaloo Thu 27-Mar-14 08:14:27

I'd use a back pack for your hand luggage. Not the most stylish but keeps your hands free. I think heathrow is all tunnels to the plane in which case if you hang onto your pushchair you'd be folding and packing it at the gate/end of tunnel which is obviously safer with your little one than on the Tarmac. Check this though.

In terms of what to pack just take the essential changing and feeding stuff, change of clothes, lots of snacks. Hopefully you won't be but if you are delayed you can get more nappies etc at the airport.

It's not a long flight so for entertainment a favourite comfort toy, piece of paper and cheap stickers and (if you have one) an iPad with a story or film on will be plenty.

Artandco Thu 27-Mar-14 08:20:26

X3 change of clothes each. Light weight if possible.
Few tiny books for toddler
Is he still in nappies? If so nappies

Wear heaviest layers ie jeans and biggest jumper plus coat.

Take a rucksack rather than small suitcase so when you arrive you can push pram with hands and carry luggage on back. Pram and suitcase are a pain

ChallahBaloo Thu 27-Mar-14 08:31:53

Ah sorry do you mean you are only taking hand luggage?

If so then as above but as Art said, add extra clothes to that. You can ask family to get some nappies for when you get there and I'm assuming as you're staying with family you could wash bits out if you need to. Several lightweight layers packs smaller than one thick jumper. You can also put bits (coats etc) in your pushchair bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now