Talk

Advanced search

Hiring a child car seat at Verona airport? Avis quoting �20.99 PER DAY!

(11 Posts)
snowgirl1 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:30:12

We're going to Lake Garda in September and fly into Verona airport. I've used our Avios/air miles to book the flights and the car hire, so it's a bit of a bargain holiday - or at least it was until I asked to add a child seat to the car hire booking. The car hire is through Avis. They are quoting �20.99 PER DAY to hire a child car seat for our 2 year old DD. I could probabably buy a new car seat in Italy for less than that! Does anyone have any suggestions on how we could hire a car seat for less? If not, we'll probably end up using up our luggage allowance to take our own, but if I can hire one for a reasonable price, I'd rather hire.

noramum Wed 26-Mar-14 12:38:15

We always take our own. I know it can be damaged but after a disaster when DD was 16 months I am not doing it again.

We used a well-known agency, we spoke to them in advance, we confirmed the day before by phone and email and - we arrived and got a seat which was not safe to use and actually broken as well.

It took us one hour sorting it out. It was in our home country so no language problems.

I think they wanted EUR 50 for a long weekend.

All the time we flew (BA, Lufthansa mainly) we never had to take the seat as part of our luggage allowance, it was always extra.

Ubik1 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:39:56

We use trunkis fir ours but I suppose at 2 boosters aren't usable.

I'd take the car seat as hold luggage.

chebella Wed 26-Mar-14 12:40:30

Who are you flying with? Double check as you may well be allowed to take it for free,

bonzo77 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:41:07

Who are you flying with? Easy jet allows you to take one on top of your luggage allowance.

snowgirl1 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:09:29

We're flying with BA. Interesting to know that some airlines allow you to take car seats for free - I'll check that. Thanks!

LIZS Wed 26-Mar-14 13:14:21

do, because the ones we saw at Verona airport car hire desks weren't really up to much and it is well out of town.

snowgirl1 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:14:55

Thank you mnetters! I've just checked the BA website and it states that on top of the baggage allowance, you can take a collapsible stroller AND a car seat - result!

bonzo77 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:40:26

good news. I have one of those massive checked laundry bags to stuff the car seat into to keep it clean. Much cheaper than a proper travel bag.

MillyMollyMama Thu 27-Mar-14 09:17:42

Snow girl. Can't believe you didn't check the BA website in the first place!

Rosa Thu 27-Mar-14 09:28:49

I was going to offer to lend you one for my petrol money to and from Verona !!! Or suggest that you order one on line here and get it sent to your hotel address ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now