Talk

Advanced search

Last minute weekend away in UK - Tips please

(11 Posts)
k4mi Sun 23-Mar-14 12:35:10

We've decided on a last minute weekend away this coming weekend for a birthday treat. DH and I and our 2yr old DD. I've looked at Centre Parcs but seems pricey (last minute still £500+) Ideally we need somewhere within 2hrs drive time of SE London which I know limits things but we can't go until Friday evening. I saw Bluestone in Wales which looks good but over a 4hr drive. Price not a huge concern but would prefer to keep at least the accommodation under £300ish. DD would obviously enjoy swimming / soft play but that's about her limit, cycling would also be good. From our side we aren't fussy, ideally perhaps a pool / spa and maybe a nice country pub close by. Not interested in entertainment really. Has anyone found a hotel that's family friendly or a holiday park that's nice and not feels countryside-ish and not too busy? I guess we would prefer to keep ourselves to ourselves a bit so perhaps self-catering is an option but there's not much to keep DD occupied that way..? Anyone have any tips?

JeanSeberg Sun 23-Mar-14 18:11:07

How about a seaside town? Sorry my geography's not brilliant but somewhere Essex/Kent/Sussex Coast?

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 23-Mar-14 18:23:50

Sandy Balls holiday park could work for you.

JeanSeberg Sun 23-Mar-14 18:25:29

You've got to go just for that name !

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 23-Mar-14 18:58:06

smile

JeanSeberg Sun 23-Mar-14 19:03:14

www.sandyballs.co.uk

Looks like a great suggestion and you can ask stop people on the way for directions by saying 'I'm looking for Sandy Balls'.

<v childish>

dingit Sun 23-Mar-14 19:07:35

We live in same area and often go down to Bournemouth. We stay in the travel lodge just as a base ( cheap and cheerful) and go out from there. We take Tesco vouchers and eat at Prezzo one night. You can also stop in the New Forest which is fantastic, try a village called Burley.

MomOrMum Sun 23-Mar-14 19:22:22

We're trying a place in the New Forest called Balmer Lawn soon, which sounds good on paper.

k4mi Mon 24-Mar-14 09:02:48

Sandy Balls looks great but fully booked this weekend unfortunately. I'll take a look at Balmer Lawn though. Thanks. Still checking the Centre Parcs website every 5 mins to see if it's been reduced ;-)

BlueChampagne Mon 24-Mar-14 16:00:34

This www.flackleyashhotel.co.uk/ is just outside Rye; might fit the bill?

dingit Mon 24-Mar-14 18:29:46

If you don't mind channel crossings, look at centre parcs Europe, ours Easter break is half price of uk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now