Talk

Advanced search

Two weeks self catering, how much £ for food?

(8 Posts)
RunningGuerita Wed 19-Mar-14 21:06:30

Two weeks self catering, one in French Alps one in Italian Dolomites. Family of four, kiddies are still little 2 and 3.5. We will drive so can take some stuff with us and stock up at supermarkets. Assume breakfast and lunch eating in (boulangerie) or sandwich and out for dinner. How much should I budget do you think?

Another thread below said over £100/130 a day but that seems a lot with little kiddies.

princessalbert Wed 19-Mar-14 21:34:28

Hmm it's hard to say.

I suppose your DC won't eat that much.

Food can be pricy in some regions - but it depends on what you/they like.

I would pack a few basics - our DC miss squash - so we take some with us.

RunningGuerita Thu 20-Mar-14 09:53:41

Yes I know I find it really hard to figure out!

Stokey Thu 20-Mar-14 11:29:45

I think if you're eating out for dinner every day - that alone would be £50-70. So I would say £100 doesn't look too bad. I always find we over-buy in self catering, end up chucking out a lot of fresh stuff as no-one can be bothered to cook.

Would say minimum £75/day - could be cheaper but thjatgives you a cushion.

Creamycoolerwithcream Thu 20-Mar-14 11:51:49

I would have thought about �70 to �80 per day as your DC are young. Say roughly �10 for a nice breakfast, �10 to �20 for lunch and then �40 to �50 for dinner, snacks and wine. Don't forget you won't have to do two big weekly shops that you would normally do at home.

RunningGuerita Thu 20-Mar-14 12:00:22

Thanks, much appreciated!

jenpetronus Thu 20-Mar-14 12:52:07

Don't know about Italy, but France I would say around €70 a day too, depending where you want to eat out in the evening? I live in France, family of 4 (DS'S 12 & 5) our weekly grocery bill is around €150 - we maybe eat out once a week. You can check supermarket prices online Carrefour/Le Clerc etc

noramum Fri 21-Mar-14 10:38:19

In France check out the weekly markets. Fruit and Veg are cheaper there. But be aware that there are also lots of really nice things the UK doesn't have like cheese and cured meats and we normally overspend. But hey, it is holiday.

I tend to buy little and often to be able to cancel plans and avoid waste, so we mostly go every second day.

Eating out - I found France easy and cheap as their fixed menus are good value for money. Not sure about Kids, I think the French don't do children menus as you have it here.

Italy is kids heaven, always possible to get a small portion of pasta or share a pizza.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now