Talk

Advanced search

Holidaying without family

(6 Posts)
tryingtobebetter Tue 18-Mar-14 19:11:04

I love travelling - travelled a lot with ExP and it was a really great part of our relationship. Have also done 2 holidays alone and while it was enjoyable it wasn't as much fun as with ExP.

Now have a DP with 3 fulltime DSC (ok not strictly step-children as we aren't married). They are too young for the kind of holidays that I enjoy - we have been on a few child-orientated holidays within the UK / France. Even as they get older, the logistics of trying to take 3 children to farflung locations fills me with fear! I still have a yearning to see the world but feel sad that DP in particular won't be alongside me.

How many of you go on holiday without your partner/children? Am I being selfish?

MozzchopsThirty Tue 18-Mar-14 19:12:53

No reason why you can't, as long as it works both ways.

tryingtobebetter Tue 18-Mar-14 19:21:11

DP has had one holiday with a friend of his, sports-based, but because I couldn't get time off work, the kids were looked after by grandparents. We also had a week and a half on holiday alone together but I don't see that happening again - it is a long time for the kids and for whoever is looking after them, even though it did go well.
Just wondered if it is a common thing for people to go without their family I suppose!

sailorsgal Tue 18-Mar-14 21:37:25

I went on a yoga retreat last year and dh and I are hoping to go away for my birthday. We do have family holidays as well.

princessalbert Wed 19-Mar-14 21:32:17

I see nothing wrong with taking holidays as a couple and leaving the Dc home.

We always have a summer break - taking my DS, one or both of DSSs.

But me and DH try to sneak in a few weekend trips, abroad and the UK, without any DC. At other times I may go away for a week abroad with my DS. He takes his DSs away also, with out me.

MillyMollyMama Thu 20-Mar-14 01:53:56

I wish I had had someone to leave my DCs with so we could have had a holiday away from them. It would have been luxury and never happened. I don't see why you should not but 3 could be really hard work for someone else. I put my ambitions on hold and that is what so many of us do. When mine were older they came too, to Peru, Ecuador, Alaska, Sailing in the BVIs etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now