Talk

Advanced search

How much sunscreen for May?

(5 Posts)
Coffeeessential Tue 18-Mar-14 14:25:52

Hi everyone,
We are treating ourselves to a week in La Pineda in Spain from 27th May until 2nd June and all the weather sites I have looked at give different average temperatures. I wondered whether anyone else has been to La Pineda at the end of May and what the temperatures were like.
Thankyou!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 18-Mar-14 14:30:05

It's not so much about the temperature I think. If you're exposed to the sun at all you should wear sunscreen. We went for a walk in the sun on Sunday and we were pink when we got home. The temperature wouldn't have been above 20 deg, but it was breezy and sunny and we should have had some sunscreen on.

specialsubject Tue 18-Mar-14 18:25:10

it is absolutely NOT about the temperature. You may have noticed that people get sunburnt on ski holidays. The only difference that temperature makes is that more skin is exposed when it is warmer.

peak UV is 21st June. So you are quite near that in the Med. Slap it on before you go out in the morning, do not deliberately sunbathe, get in shade between 11 and 3. Kids should wear rash vests/sunsuits when in the sun.

UV strength is a matter of time of year and latitude, not temperature.

princessalbert Wed 19-Mar-14 21:29:37

I took DS to Costa Brava last year at the end of May. We were unlucky with the weather - and it wasn't great. However on the odd times that the sun was out it was quite hot.

I am a bit slack with sunscreen - but tend to pack the Ultrasun. I like it as it is in a small bottle - but lasts all day, and does the job.

Definitely take something with you, or purchase in the airport. It isn't worth getting burnt.

specialsubject Thu 20-Mar-14 15:58:35

clouds in the Med at peak sun season do not provide much filtering. Unless it is throwing it down with rain, wear suncream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now