Talk

Advanced search

Car Hire Novice - advice needed please

(11 Posts)
GillTheGiraffe Tue 18-Mar-14 00:54:12

I have never hired a car before blush but am planning to do so next month - in the UK.

My licence is the old 'pink' style licence without my photograph. Will I need to get it updated to a photo licence or will the hire company accept the pink one plus my passport?

Apart from ensuring I top it up before I return it, is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thank you

AlternativeMoniker53 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:59:39

I think you'll need a photo license, they run out these days and need renewing. Have a look on the DVLA website. I hired a car today, it was fairly straightforward but I do think you'll come up short without a photo license.

specialsubject Tue 18-Mar-14 09:47:47

check with the company concerned. For instance, Avis say they will accept the old licences but will charge you a fiver to call the DVLA to check for endorsements.

GillTheGiraffe Tue 18-Mar-14 18:14:02

Thanks. I checked with the hire company and they say as long as the licence is valid that's Ok but I also need to show my passport for the photo ID.

AlternativeMoniker53 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:38:55

Well done, Gill, phoning the hire company was a great idea. Every day's a learning day!

MillyMollyMama Tue 18-Mar-14 22:42:31

I have hired with a pink licence but they do want the passport in case you run off with the car!

princessalbert Wed 19-Mar-14 21:22:51

Some companies have differing policies regarding fuel.

most I have used have started out with a full tank, and we had to return it with a full tank.

sherbetpips Wed 19-Mar-14 21:28:14

You will need to reserve and pay with a credit card not a debit card or cash.

rainbowmagic1974 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:54:57

You can also purchase insurance separately rather than through them. I think we used questor last time and it works out about £4 a day or an annual policy is £40. Saves a fortune as hire companies try and add on lots of extras.

GillTheGiraffe Wed 19-Mar-14 23:34:16

I have hired a Corsa.

Thank you everyone.

AlternativeMoniker53 Wed 19-Mar-14 23:38:23

Ooh, mine's a Corsa, they're quite nice aren't they? Roomier than I'd imagined and a dream to park. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: