Talk

Advanced search

booking direct - protection? worth the risk?

(9 Posts)
omama Thu 06-Mar-14 09:56:33

Hiya

We are hoping to holiday at a resort/hotel we've stayed at before but want to be a bit picky this time & have a specific type of family room.

Unfortunately the UK tour operators offering this hotel are either booked up already, or don't offer that type of room. (I have called them to ask about room upgrades & they can't do it)

However, I have found the exact room we want available for the dates we want on booking.com, including half board for a great price, & we can get flights with easyjet. We'd have to sort out a train or taxi transfer separately.

Cost wise its about the same, & am so tempted as we know the hotel is lovely, but having never booked like this I am a bit worried about what level of protection we'd have, since we're not booking through an ABTA/ATOL protected agent.

Can anyone advise? Is there any way to protect ourselves? Is paying by credit card enough to give us some form of recompense?

TIA

ShoeWhore Thu 06-Mar-14 09:58:01

Not sure about protection but I nearly always book holidays this way and have never had a problem in 20 years. Does travel insurance cover it?

Janek Thu 06-Mar-14 10:11:09

I'd say do it. You've been there before, so you know the hotel/room exists, book it on a credit card and that gives some protection i think. We booked in berlin through booking.com last summer and it was fine, it didn't even occur to us to worry...

omama Thu 06-Mar-14 10:12:43

my annual policy doesn't cover failure of provider to provide any part of the trip due to error, insolvency, omission or default. So we're not covered that way.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 06-Mar-14 10:19:23

I use booking.com a lot and have never had a problem. Normally the rooms I book are not paid in advance, but when we check out of the hotel.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 06-Mar-14 10:30:37

We always book separately and have never had a problem.

Optimist1 Thu 06-Mar-14 11:01:30

Since the room type is very important to you, have you checked the price of booking direct with the hotel or the chain it belongs to? Check what their cancellation policy is so that you know how you stand in the event you need to cancel. Having said that, booking.com is very reliable, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

omama Thu 06-Mar-14 12:40:49

thanks all - I've done it!!!! grin Holiday here we come!

princessalbert Fri 07-Mar-14 17:46:44

I usually book independently. Luckily have not had a problem yet (touch wood).

I am sure all will be fine.

Enjoy your holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now