Talk

Advanced search

Going on holiday at 32 weeks pregnant!!

(29 Posts)
ema24august Wed 26-Feb-14 07:06:41

Hi all

I need some help, it's my first pregnancy and we booked a holiday in Turkey a week before we found out! By the time we go I will be 32 weeks pregnant. I am very anxious about if I should be going. Any advice would be really appreciated.

ohmeohmyforgotlogin Wed 26-Feb-14 07:32:57

Check with the airline what their rules are to start. Whether you go or not depends how you feel bearing in mind you could find the heat hard going.

eurochick Wed 26-Feb-14 07:36:35

Most airlines require a fit to fly letter after 28 weeks. Make sure your travel insurance will cover you.

ema24august Wed 26-Feb-14 07:43:12

Thank you very much for the advice, I've checked with airline I can fly with a letter and I am insured with a doctors letter to say it is safe for me to go. I know everybody is different on how they would feel but would appreciate adivce from anyone who has been in a similar situation how they felt and what they did under these circumstances.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 26-Feb-14 11:26:26

Well I lived in Turkey when I was pregnant and I flew back to the UK at 34 weeks. It was rather uncomfortable travelling at that stage and I don't think I would choose to go on holiday that late but as it is already booked and paid for I'm sure I would still go.

I would take your maternity notes with you and check up on medical services so that if anything happens you know where to go.

When are you going and where are you staying?

ema24august Wed 26-Feb-14 12:33:12

I fly on Friday 22nd Aug we stay in a town called Kalkan it's about 2 hours south of Dalaman airport. I've already booked extra legroom as soon as we found out (not an exit seat). But I'm starting to dread the thought of going now.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 26-Feb-14 17:42:28

I can understand that, it is a long flight plus 2 hours drive and it is going to be very, very hot at that time. I think you will have to wallow int he pool for the whole holiday wink

BingoWingsBeGone Wed 26-Feb-14 17:46:31

I was in hospital at 31 weeks on bedrest.

Just check your insurance will pay out in the event of a pregnancy related reason in case you can't make it for any reason baby related.

mummymeister Wed 26-Feb-14 23:18:47

it might be better if you are already worried to think about cancelling. if you didn't have a fit to fly letter would your insurance pay out bearing in mind the holiday and insurance were booked before you knew? personally I just couldn't have done this in any of my pregnancies. hands and feet swollen, monitoring the baby etc. don't pile stress on yourself see if you can sort it out now.

princessalbert Thu 27-Feb-14 08:29:23

I went on holiday at 27 weeks, but that was only to Menorca.

I imagine that the temps in Turkey in August will be high.

We had booked to go to Turkey, but I changed our booking when I found out I was pregnant.

If I were in your position I would bring it forward (and perhaps go to a closer destination) as you may not feel up to it by then. It would be a shame to miss out totally.

MillyMollyMama Thu 27-Feb-14 08:54:25

I would definitely not go to Turkey after 28 weeks. This time line is there for a reason. I would try and amend the booking as suggested and then you should not have a problem with insurance or doctor's letters. You would also be a lot more comfortable.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 27-Feb-14 10:00:13

If you can bring the holiday forward I think that would be the best solution, Turkey is very hot in August, if you were to go in May or June it would be far more comfortable all round for you and you would worry less.

homebythesea Thu 27-Feb-14 13:37:32

I would research what the hospital arrangements are nearby to where you will be staying - are they up to standard, is there a cost (remember you are outside the EU?) What would happen if you had the baby there, would insurance cover repatriation? How would you arrange a passport for the baby to come home? Where would you stay? How much would that cost?

I had a baby at 32 weeks. Whilst I know the risk is probably quite small you have no idea what complications may crop up later in your pregnancy (mine was pre eclampsia which came on very quickly) and this is your first pregnancy so you don't have experience to refer to. Is it really worth the risk? If it were me I'd be trying to get back my deposit or defer till next year

WishUponAStar88 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:42:16

I don't have advice but am in a similar situation! Holiday to Spain booked when I'll be 30 weeks. Midwife doesn't see a problem and airline are fine with a Drs note.
I still haven't decided but if I go I'll be making sure any insurance covers not just myself/ the birth bit also any post natal care for baby in the event of premature birth.

impatientlywaiting Thu 27-Feb-14 13:55:46

I'm 31 weeks and feeling on the whole pretty much fine.

If someone offered me a holiday for free to Turkey next week I would have to seriously think about it, physically I'm fine, but I've found as pregnancy has gone on I've felt a bit more vulnerable and wanted to stay closer to home.

It's your decision, I think that I'd be find to go physically, but may still choose not to go, on the off chance I go into labour whilst I was there. XX

ema24august Thu 27-Feb-14 19:00:39

Thank you very much for all the advice, I definitely need to check out the insurance more I know on covered but never thought about anything actually happening over there.

You've definitely given me a lot to think about its hard to know how I'll feel at 32 weeks.

Thank you again for your replies, I'm seeing midwife tomorrow for first time so hopefully she will also give me some good advice.

CwtchesAndCuddles Thu 27-Feb-14 20:14:35

I went to Tunisia at 22 weeks and it was lovely and relaxing but it was early summer and not too warm. I wouldn't want to travel at 32 weeks, the heat will be a killer in August and you may spend the whole time being miserable.

Is going earlier an option?

ema24august Thu 27-Feb-14 20:25:57

We booked the flights separate to the apartment we are staying in so not sure if we can bring it forward.

I think I'm stressing about it more because we've booked it with another couple as well it's not just our holiday to change or cancel. I do feel as if this is the one time in my life I can selfish and make the decision based on how I feel.

dontyouknow Sun 02-Mar-14 15:06:00

I went to Egypt about 22 weeks (booked after I knew I was pregnant) and Thailand the second time I was pregnant at around 12 weeks (booked before I knew). Egypt was extremely hot but it didn't bother me any more than usual - I'm not really into sunbathing so would generally sit in the shade with a book anyway. We toned down the sightseeing and did half day trips rather than big days out. I was in bed really early every evening, but I was when I was at home too.

I would probably go at 32 weeks if the pregnancy was going fine, but obviously you don't know at the moment how it is going to progress.

It's really a case of what you feel comfortable with. A lot of people I know (family included) thought I was mad/irresponsible.

Your travel insurance if you had it in place when booked will presumably only cover you if you cancel on medical advice, but have you checked?

To keep your options open you could contact the airline. As a gesture of goodwill they may let you change the dates, especially if you are able to bring it forward out of school holidays to a cheaper time. Similarly with the apartment. Are your friends happy to change dates?

Misty9 Sun 02-Mar-14 20:03:22

I'm 34wks and flew to Spain and back last week at 33wks pregnant, also with 2.5yo ds (and no dh). The flight wasn't too bad pregnancy wise - I booked seats near the toilet but only went once I think, and legroom was fine in a normal cheap easyjet seat. Minus a toddler it would have been a breeze!

Regarding insurance, definitely check as I found it very hard to get covered beyond 32wks - most companies would only cover 'complications' after that point and normal birth/newborn care didn't come under that heading. Also check what ehic will cover for you - in Spain it would have covered me for almost everything. I used cheaptravelinsurance.com (or something like that, I can check if you like) but apparently the post office also do it.

It would be the heat in turkey in August which would stop me going though I think. I travelled around turkey in my youth and it was around high 30s at that point in the year and pretty unbearable. But I'm not a sun bunny. If you like heat, and all is well in the pregnancy by then, I'd go for it. It's a beautiful country smile

ema24august Sun 02-Mar-14 20:38:55

Thanks for your advice it's definitely the heat which is putting me off think if I was going somewhere in Europe I'd be much happier. It's also my first pregnancy which is all a but daunting.

Somebody gave me the advice to check where the nearst hospital would be. I checked and it's 29km but the nearest big hospital is 2 hours away from where I'm staying!

I need to check the insurance more my husband phoned and I don't think he asked the right questions!

Thanks for the advice

drawohamme Sun 02-Mar-14 21:58:29

I needed insurance for 33/34 weeks and the only proper cover I found was a company called Ravenhall. They covered emergency C sections, the lot. It cost me about twenty quid.

Check your insurance very carefully smile

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 02-Mar-14 22:03:47

Insurance is vital. Including newborn cover.

I wouldn't be happy being two hours from a hospital. Even a minor thing like wanting to get reduced movement checked could be a nightmare of travel and language barriers.

Southsearocks Sun 02-Mar-14 22:06:11

Check insurance covers any labour costs and covers the baby if you should give birth early. Most do not!

wonderstuff Sun 02-Mar-14 22:08:49

I went to New York at 32ish weeks. My feet got very swollen on the flight, but I had a wicked time. It was early May, so not too hot, I took afternoon naps and got early nights. I would have thought wallowing in the pool would be lovely.

It was my second, we left dc1 behind, having adult time before the baby was really nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now