Talk

Advanced search

Amsterdam

(7 Posts)
bluecheque4595 Tue 25-Feb-14 22:16:16

I am going there to celebrate my birthday and friends birthday.

I am a massive square, never done drugs, no intention of doing drugs. Not into the Red Light district, not really sure in what way it is a tourist attraction. Not really interested in seeing the Ann Frank museum.

What shall I do to while away my time on holiday in Amsterdam? My first choice was Paris but the flights were cheaper/easier to Amsterdam.

I do like seeing new countries and expanding horizons and all that, but get tired of everyone telling me about all the legal drugs I should be smoking. It is not my bag. Has anyone been and if so what is good? No husband and no kids with us, just myself and a friend.

gallicgirl Tue 25-Feb-14 22:20:40

The art museum. Wander around the canals. Flea market at Waterloo Platz. Coffee in Jordaan. Boat trip on the canals.
Amsterdam is lovely and so much more than weed and whores.

bluecheque4595 Tue 25-Feb-14 22:41:18

The boat trip does sound good.

Thanks

ruby1234 Wed 26-Feb-14 12:18:01

You could go to the museums, lots to choose from, I like the Van Gogh.
Lovely walk through the Vondelpark, café bar in the middle and a zoo at the far end.
Take the train to Haarlem, about 15 minutes, lovely town for a day out, lots of shops, cafes, bars etc, lovely large town square.
Wander round the Jordaan.
Boat trips nice, get one from near the Vondelpark, you can have lunch at the Irish Bar when you get back, or the nearby pancake house.
Loads of restaurants for the evening near Liedseplein.
Wander to Rembrandstsplein for lunch, large square, lots of places to eat.
Watch out for the traffic!

gallicgirl Wed 26-Feb-14 21:33:08

Oh yeah, bikes have priority and won't stop for you.

MillyMollyMama Thu 27-Feb-14 02:49:16

What lunatic friends you have!! Dope is just one negative part of Amerstdam and the red light district is a load of trash too! I Agree with all suggestions above. Amsterdam is very attractive and there is plenty to see. We bought a small guide book. The Anne Frank House is worth the visit, by the way. If you are interested in expanding your horizons, you really should go there. It is a tribute to what mankind can endure and very moving.

Holymoly321 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:59:10

Amsterdam is absolutely beautiful - have been many times. Just wandering around the gorgeous canals, taking it all in, peeking into the fabulous houses is fantastic. Stay away from the Red light district (but it is worth a look just on a sociological pov), and go shopping in the Nine Streets and check out the Flea market. Anne Frank def worth a trip but go early in the morning. Boat trips are also fabulous way of experiencing the city. Am very jealous - even tho I've been loads of times I always want to go again! You'll have a fab time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now