Talk

Advanced search

Which European Center Parcs / alternative?

(13 Posts)
Mandy21 Mon 24-Feb-14 13:40:46

Looking for a recommendation for one of the European Center parcs - possibly Belgium / Holland (not too far from Calais). 2 x 9 year olds, 1 x 5 year old. May half term (1st week of June here so slightly later than most people - am hoping that is outside European hols too). Not really bothered about "extra" activities, or eating out, imagine we will spend most of the time swimming etc and possibly a couple of days out.

Have seen a couple of mentions of Landal (but they seem to be connected with Hoseasons?) Not as well kept as CP?

Spoilt for choice.

Many thanks

Mandy21 Tue 25-Feb-14 08:22:55

Anyone??

PortofinoRevisited Tue 25-Feb-14 08:29:16

We have been to Landal Hoog Vaals - about 4 times - and also Sonnenberg. They are both lovely, but just have normal swimming pools rather than the dome things. At Sonnenburg there is a big open air pool complex just outside the site though. The impression I get is that the ex CP sites ie De Lommerbergen / the ones with the tropical pools/markett domes have seen better days. I looked at lots of reviews for a trip at Easter and we have booked CP De Kempervennen.

We have been to Eperheide too - lots to do on site/children's farm/pancake house. We had a comfort cottage and it was VERY basic though.

cheerup Tue 25-Feb-14 09:31:13

I would recommend CP De Vossemeren. Have just come back and it was great especially the indoor pirate play area and Wannabe activities (4 euro if booked in advance). If you can afford it, go for a VIP cottage which have been recently renovated. Our premium cottage was clean and comfortable but showing its age.

I would also recommend Landal Het Vennenbos but perhaps not so good for older children. To be fair we were there one very wet October so probably didn't see it at its best although I didn't think pool and dome any less up to date than De Vossemeren and cottage probably in marginally better state.

Also have a look at Beekse Bergen - mini amusement park and huge safari park on site free with their Extra Card which also gets you entrance to Sportiom swimming complex in Den Bosch (IMO better than Centerparcs pools and when we've been i.e. outside Dutch school hols much quieter). Beekse Bergen also has a nice indoor pool on site and outdoor slides at the Playland. We went with Eurocamp (free Extra cards) but you can book their Jungalows direct which I think are more like CP comfort cottages.

hope that helps!

Mandy21 Tue 25-Feb-14 09:33:05

Thank you. I think the children are hoping for the "swimming complex" type villages so thank you for that info.

Did you like Eperheide - thats on the radar, as is De Kempervennen.

cheerup Tue 25-Feb-14 09:33:51

Also meant to say all are approx 3 hours easy drive from Calais and not far from De Eftling which is a great day out.

Oubliette0292 Tue 25-Feb-14 09:36:00

We went to De Vossemeren last year - it was great (DC were 9 and 7 at the time).

Have you considered Eftling? We stayed in an apartment there and the kids had a fabulous time.

heinztomatosoup Tue 25-Feb-14 09:51:58

We went to de Kempervenen last year, was fab. Has the indoor water park, also on site real snow ski slope which the kids loved, we arranged private lessons for the 3 of them. Easy drive to Efterling which is a must. Thoroughly recommend, although cabins are a bit dated, less 'posh' than the uk ones, although also much cheaper.

PortofinoRevisited Tue 25-Feb-14 10:54:07

We enjoyed Eperheide. Dd was about 3 at the time so went most of the time in the pool as I recall.

PortofinoRevisited Tue 25-Feb-14 10:55:25

We live in Brussels and find that we always prefer the trips to the Netherlands vs Belgium. The Dutch tend to speak English well, are friendly and every thing is clean and well organised.

Mandy21 Tue 25-Feb-14 11:45:40

Thank you everyone.

We haven't been to CP since children (I know, definitely in the minority!) and I'm trying to work out what "extras" we'll have to pay for. The descriptions of the holiday villages say 'aqua paradise' with rapids / snorkelling / tubing or whatever, but then when you go into the extra activities which you can book in advance, there is a price for the rapids / snorkelling etc??? Is the pool / dome not included - or is the dome free just for basic swimming, and if you want to use any of the slides / rapids or whatever, you pay extra??

CP novice - sorry!!

cheerup Tue 25-Feb-14 12:08:25

You don't pay extra to use the facilities including pools, slides, crazy river etc but they use them for activities outside normal opening times that you do have to pay for like learning to scuba, white water rafting on the crazy river...

Mandy21 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:46:53

thanks thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now