Talk

Advanced search

Amalfi Coast

(13 Posts)
SadFreak Sat 22-Feb-14 19:05:24

What is the cheapest way to see the Amalfi Coast?

I will probably be going alone. I am too nervous to drive myself and am trying to decide whether to do a coach trip or package or do it all myself.

Am on a relatively tight budget but would be grateful for any tips or recommendations.

lottysmum Sat 22-Feb-14 23:30:01

I would find the cheapest flights using Skyscanner (Naples)...then get a train probably down to Salerno (Train travel is very cheap in Italy)....then its best to use buses...you can also get across to Capri quite cheaply too....If you use Booking.com or Trivago you will find accommodation to suit your budget.

SadFreak Sun 23-Feb-14 00:04:35

Thanks for that. I have never been to Italy in my life so it's good to be told things about trains etc.
This is somewhere I have always wanted to go and in light if recent shitty events I have decided to go. Very indulgent but I do think I deserve a treat.
Thank you. smile

trixymalixy Sun 23-Feb-14 00:08:03

The Amalfi coast is amazing. The trains are very cheap in Italy. We stayed in a youth hostel in positano (I think), but this was 15+ years ago now.

MillyMollyMama Sun 23-Feb-14 13:05:39

I would check out the trains. You might be able to get coach trips too from the resort towns. It would be a shame not to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum and the smaller towns while you are there.

girlywhirly Mon 24-Feb-14 08:56:04

You can get to Pompeii on the train, as it has a station very close by. You can get there for opening time which, if it is hot, means you can do the bulk of the sights before the hottest part of the day and you aren't herded around and on and off coaches. (And get in before the coach parties arrive) You may need to show your passport at the ticket office if you want to hire an electronic guide in English and you probably need to leave a deposit until it is returned. Be aware that there can be the odd rail strike which can scupper your plans. As a lone traveller you may want the security of travelling with a party though.

If you decide to stay in Sorrento, you can get tourist open top buses to Positano and these are cheap. You need to walk down from the road through the town (because it's built into the hillside) but there is a beach. Gorgeous shops and piazza's. You need to be back at the pick up point for the return bus though. I've heard mixed opinions about Capri, those who didn't think it worth the money for the trip and those who loved it.

magentastardust Mon 24-Feb-14 16:09:36

I am not sure but just wanted to jump on the thread to say that The Amalfi Coast is gorgeous. Positano, Sorrento, Capri-the views-amazing!
Enjoy

AutumnStar Mon 24-Feb-14 16:11:04

Amalfi is beautiful. Another shout for the train here, too. Takes about an hour from Naples to Sorrento and the route passes Pompeii. Enjoy!

Bunbaker Mon 24-Feb-14 20:42:57

I have also heard negative reviews about Capri, and everything is terribly expensive once you get there. We stayed just outside Sorrento and took a bout trip round the peninsula to Amalfi. Italy is not particularly cheap to eat out in, even in more out of the way places. The train is easy to use. Just remember to validate your ticket in the little machine on the platform.

Having said all that, apart from visiting the historical sights, IMO the Amalfi coast is not a patch on Lake Garda. The roads are extremely busy and you can't walk by the coast in Sorrento as it is built up right up to the cliff edge.

Weegiemum Mon 24-Feb-14 20:53:22

We were there last summer.

Had a car so we stayed in Sant'Agata sui due Golfi, but it would be pretty impossible without a car I reckon.

Anywhere on the Naples side of the peninsula is easier by bus.

I'd say don't miss Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Solfatara Crater (Pozzuoli), the Naples museums are good and if you feel like the hot trek, nothing beats walking to the summit of Vesuvius - it totally dominates the whole landscape and is amazing!!!

Have a great time!

austenozzy Mon 24-Feb-14 20:54:02

We stayed in Ravello, a fairly short bus trip up the hillside from Amalfi. Lovely place. The drivers there are certifiable, though, so probably best to stick to public transport and taxis! Sorrento was lovely too, but we stayed in a little flat that had been converted to an odd, tiny b&b which took the shine off it.

jennymac Fri 28-Feb-14 13:38:28

We took the hydrofoil from Naples to Positano and it was fab as you get the gorgeous view from the sea. The rest of our time there we took buses to Ravello, Amalfi town and Atrani. We also took the ferry to Capri and I thought it was worth a viewing. The Amalfi coast is one of the few places in the world that I really want to go back to some day. It is really magical.

carlajean Sun 02-Mar-14 07:29:03

We had a lovely week in February. Started in Naples, until I had my bag snatched, then onto Sorrento. Then spent the week traveling down the coast by bus. Last stop was Salerno, and the highlight was a bus trip out to Paestum from there. Then took the train back to Naples. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now