Talk

Advanced search

Disneyland Paris - yay or nay?

(17 Posts)
juneau Sat 22-Feb-14 08:58:28

We're going to be in Paris during the May half-term and we're trying to decide whether to do a day at Disney or not. DS1 is six, DS2 will be three (only just). The 45 min queue rumours are really putting me off as our boys, like all small DC, are really bad at queuing for things and my DH and I aren't exactly the most patient people either! My memories are of a big, spread-out park too, so should we wait until they're older, or bite the bullet, do our homework, and go?

HermioneWeasley Sat 22-Feb-14 09:04:46

If you can get there for opening time and have a plan for priority rides and fast passes then they are a perfect age

MillyMollyMama Sun 23-Feb-14 13:19:48

We did not like it. When we went there were long queues and no entertainment while you were waiting. We went for the day to keep our DCs on side so we could spend 3 days doing better things in Paris. Would not do it with a 3 year old though. Sorry but not my idea of fun.

poorbuthappy Sun 23-Feb-14 13:23:43

For every person who says do it there will be someone saying don't.
It's like marmite.

Personally I don't think a day is enough.
Although it's 12 hours too long for some grin

dreamingofsun Sun 23-Feb-14 16:34:20

we spent 3 days there and that was about right. i would wait till they are a bit older, so you only have to do it once, and they can still remember it. plus they will be too young for a lot of the rides and find the really great shows that you will enjoy boring.

we did it for the kids, but actually it was ok.

juneau Sun 23-Feb-14 17:43:19

Oh God, three days??? That would be hell! But it's going to be one loooong day, if we do go, and I'm thinking that three is too young.

The six-year-old will be fine, but he hates queuing and can be very whiny, which is another reason for waiting.

Another other views welcome smile

LordPalmerston Sun 23-Feb-14 17:45:35

i think one and a half days TOPS

MelanieCheeks Sun 23-Feb-14 17:46:51

Well, I would plan for it! But it sounds like you're not that keen.

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 23-Feb-14 17:50:33

I would go if was over in Paris. I think I'd give up one day so the DC have the experience of going. I enjoyed it when I went.

juneau Sun 23-Feb-14 18:00:17

I'm not at all against giving the DC the experience creamy, but we live near St Pancras, so going to Paris another time when they're a bit older will be easy. We actually took them last August, so this will be their second visit. The thing is, I want us all to enjoy it when we go. It's a big day out and I want the little one to get something out of it - I fear that at just three he won't.

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 23-Feb-14 18:50:29

Oh ok, you didn't write in your original post it's easy for you to go Paris and you go or may go regularly. I took my DC when they were 3,5 and 14 and we enjoyed it.

MelanieCheeks Sun 23-Feb-14 19:13:31

Does the 3 year old watch and enjoy Disney movies? If yes, they'll love it. If not, it would still be a fun day out and with the right expectations and planning could be good. As you live handily, there's no reason why you can't go again in a few years time.

noramum Sun 23-Feb-14 20:13:50

The good thing would be that in France it is a normal working day, not holiday so it shouldn't be full of French school children. We went over a long weekend and the Sunday was crowded due to French day visitors. The wet-isch Friday and Saturday were a lot calmer.

But I wouldn't do it on a day, it is a lot to do and as you say the queues are long. We got the most out of the Magic Hours we had due to staying at the hotel before the crowds came in.

juneau Sun 23-Feb-14 21:40:00

No, DS2 doesn't watch Disney at all - he's still into Peppa Pig, Bob the Builder, Fireman Sam, etc.

From these replies I think I'm leaning towards leaving it a year or two and perhaps spending a night or two at one of the Disney hotels and doing it properly. I remember the evening parade with the glo-sticks the first time I went and it was fab, but there is no way we can do that while staying in central Paris with two such small DC.

makemineapinot Sat 01-Mar-14 20:33:51

I have taken both my dc when they were 3 - in fact dd was 18 mo her first time - and they absolutely loved it! It was all magic to them! I'd def say take them!! If they are into the characters and would want the autographs, book a heal at Cafe Mickey which is pricey but worth it for the time it saves you in not having to queue for characters as they all come round the tables, posing for photos, signing autographs and interacting with kids. My dd sat on Gipetto's knee while having her dinner when she was 3 and was so utterly delighted, it made her holiday!!!

curiousgeorgie Sat 01-Mar-14 20:37:08

3 is the perfect age. I took my DD when she was 2 and she could go on loads... And loved it!

It's really good, but not as good as Florida wink

jenniferturkington Sat 01-Mar-14 20:40:52

Hated it! We went when ds was 5 and dd 3.5. The queues were very long and there were hardly any rides. There were even 45 min queues to see the characters. There wasn't much else to do either tbh. We watched the Cars show but the kids were scared of the explosions.
We left quite early in the end. We had much more fun at Park Asterisk a few days later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now