Talk

Advanced search

Is my ds allowed hand luggage too.

(20 Posts)
cleoowen Thu 20-Feb-14 18:28:17

Booking a holiday this summer and want to avoid extra costs so hoping to take all luggage as hand luggage or maybe just check one bag in for the three of us .

Ds will be 19 months when we go and we will have him on our laps. Can he have his own hand luggage bag? So effectively we can gave three bags rather than two? Looking to fly short haul with easy jet.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Feb-14 18:29:41

No.

Artandco Thu 20-Feb-14 18:30:12

I don't think so, only if you book a seat. You can take pram/ travel cot or cat seat though ( 2 of them), even without a seat

DebbieOfMaddox Thu 20-Feb-14 18:34:28

It depends on the airline -- e.g. (off the top of my head) BA allows you to take one hand luggage bag for an infant under two, even if they are travelling on your lap; Ryanair doesn't unless you book them a seat (but then Ryanair would charge you extra for oxygen if they could get away with it).

You'd need to check with the airline in question to know what their policy will be.

DebbieOfMaddox Thu 20-Feb-14 18:35:12

(Virgin allow one hand luggage bag per infant, as well)

MrsKent Thu 20-Feb-14 18:37:50

Yes! He is paying even if he doesn't have his own seat.

cleoowen Thu 20-Feb-14 19:21:10

We re not Paying for him as only short flight. Going to take pram and car seat but hoping to get travel cot from hotel. Ok, general opinion is check with airline so will so will do. Expect with easy jet the answer will be no.

So does a pram and car seat count as two pieces of hand luggage so we need to check any other luggage in? Or can we take them in addition to one piece of hand luggage each for dh and me?

nancy75 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:24:14

With easy jet the answer is no, we use them frequently and dd has only been allowed a bag since she was big enough to have a seat (age 2)

Car seat and pram do not count as hand luggage, you can take them and 2 bags

cleoowen Thu 20-Feb-14 19:47:09

Thanks Nancy. Will have to pack light then.

Nancy, what is there policy on food ? Can in take fresh food such as milk and frozen meals? And/or can I take foods such as food pouches and oak cakes?

nancy75 Thu 20-Feb-14 20:10:27

The airline doesn't care what you take on, you need to check with the airport website about what you can take through security.
you can take baby milk but you have to open and taste it in front of them. food pouches probably not because they are like a liquid, anything dry is fine.

SavoyCabbage Thu 20-Feb-14 20:12:46

It's 100mls for everything except infant milk. And you have to taste it if they ask you to.

Artandco Thu 20-Feb-14 20:14:47

No liquids/ purée

At 20 months he's a toddler tbh, just take a breadstick/ normal food. Shorthaul is only a few hours. Take as little hand luggage as poss tbh as it's a faff carrying.

When we had a 20 month old a trip abroad would be something like:
Dh holding ds1 20 months hand walking, pulling one suitcase with other.
Me ds2 5 months in sling, handbag.

That combo has literally got us around the world! Do you really need all that stuff? Can you hire car seat with car on arrival? Are you sightseeing or could you pass on buggy and just carry as needed? Def gt travel cot at hotel/ get single bed and cushion on floor/ put him in your bed/ on sofa bed

cleoowen Thu 20-Feb-14 21:58:47

Yes need pram and want our car seat so know it's safe. Other countries aren't as strict with safety standards. He has whole milk in day and at night so guess just worried about being cake to get this in sardinia and also finding food he likes so thought pouches would be a good back up .

girlywhirly Fri 21-Feb-14 09:32:45

You can take whatever food you like on the plane if you purchase it airside. If there is a Boots you can order baby foods/milks for collection, but you can also get cartons of ordinary milk, juice and water and the usual collection of sandwiches and snacks as normally stocked by Boots.

You may need to put the car seat in the hold if you are keeping the buggy until you board, so you may as well check in a case and pack food pouches for consumption on holiday in that. You will need cabin baggage to hold stuff for the flight including any drinks and snacks/ food you purchase airside.

MillyMollyMama Fri 21-Feb-14 11:03:31

Why not just fly with a scheduled airline! Saves all this faff!

Janek Sat 22-Feb-14 15:34:57

if you're fling with a budget airline you need one of these each (not your ds until he's allowed his own luggage though...).

Thumbwitch Sat 22-Feb-14 15:40:42

I've taken Ella's Kitchen pouches on BA several times, and only once been asked to taste them (not a hugely happy experience but still!). They weren't bothered that I had them at all, just that I had a few (6, I think) and made me taste a random selection of them.

Janek Sat 22-Feb-14 16:50:34

Interesting thumbwitch, we had to throw some away on the way home from belfast. "We don't make the rules i'm afraid". Well you do, because we brought them over from birmingham. We'd only brought them for the journey. This was 6 years ago, i clearly still haven't got over it!

Thumbwitch Sat 22-Feb-14 22:58:19

I'm not surprised, Janek! I still haven't got over having to throw away a third of a tube of toothpaste because it had 110g (not ml, g) on the tube. This was in Australia though - they're renowned for their total lack of humour and general reasonableness! The guy could see it was 2/3 empty, he could see it was g not ml (in the UK, Sensodyne is in a 100ml tube, but oh no in Australia they have to call it 110g - same bloody tube!) and he still went all jobsworth on me and made me chuck it! no toothpaste on the plane for the 24h flight - gak! (I can't use the stuff they give you on the plane, it's foul!)

Janek Sun 23-Feb-14 07:56:01

They delight in our discomfort!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now