Talk

Advanced search

Are we mad to consider flying to New York with a toddler?

(5 Posts)
KosherBacon Tue 18-Feb-14 13:29:55

Are we bonkers even thinking about going to NYC with a toddler without his own reserved seat? He will be 22 months.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Feb-14 16:23:03

If finances allow I would buy him his own seat. Having him on your lap each way for the best part of 8 hours will not do your leg circulation any good. Also the return flight is an overnight one; he will need to rest and or sleep somewhere and that absolutely cannot be the floor.

purplebaubles Tue 18-Feb-14 16:24:29

He needs his own seat. Hard going for you two having him on your lap and absolutely not on for the poor passenger who has to sit next to a wriggling 22month old!

So yes, you're bonkers ! grin

princessalbert Tue 18-Feb-14 19:00:40

The trip itself will be fine.

I took my DS (on my own) to San Francisco - that's a long flight with a non-sleepy toddler. gr.. But he had his own seat. I couldn't have had him on my lap for 12 hours. It was bad enough a few months previously when I had him sat on me for 4 hours each way to Tenerife.

Have you already booked?

Last time I came back from New York the flight was full - so you may not have spare seats to spread out.

KosherBacon Tue 18-Feb-14 19:43:43

No, we've not booked, just checking out flight times and prices. TBH the seats are extortionate- I've been to NYC about 6 times and the most recent of which cost us £595 direct and now the direct flights are all coming up at over £850. The last time we went was 2 years ago so its a huge increase.

I think the cost is going to be prohibitive and we are going to have to do it another time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now