Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a Thailand trip?

(6 Posts)
sandalsinthebin Sat 15-Feb-14 18:56:11

2 weeks in August (I know it's off-season but flights are very cheap in August from where we are living). 11 YO and 16 YO. Has anyone been?

dinodino27 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:25:31

I have been several times and highly recommend the county. The most fantastic place on earth for hols.

Been to:
Bangkok (would not recommend for kids just far too hectic)
Pattaya (great with toddlers but too much obvious prostitution for kids the age of yours).
Koh Lanta -(lovely but too quiet for kids the age of yours)
Koh Sumai = perfect
Ao Nang- perfect
Phuket - perfect

August is great weather wise unless you are going jungle areas. I have been in August and the weather was lovely.

I would be mindful of the recent political unrest - i dont know much about it but would look at the home office advice before booking.

I would particularly recommend Ao Nang (flying to Krabi) for a family holiday.

Good luck - i am SURE you'll have a fab holiday

kilmuir Sat 15-Feb-14 20:28:11

Fly to Sukhotai, stay at hotel then spend a day or 2 at Boon lott elephant sanctuary. Best holiday ever according to my DD who was 14

monopoly123 Sun 16-Feb-14 08:36:52

We were there late July/early August. West coast weather was wetter and stormiest than East coast.
Koh Samui was my favourite of the islands, internal flights are cheap.
I recommend te overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I loved Chiang Mai and there are plenty of activities suitable for older children there (jungle trekking/mountain biking).

higherhill Sun 16-Feb-14 09:27:35

We are going out in July for just over 2 weeks. We are having 3 nights in Bangkok, recover from long flight, then flying down to Koh Samui, then taking short boat to koh Tao, where we have a villa booked for 10 nights. Then returning on the overnight train back to bangkok to fly home. I have been keeping an eye on the political situation, so hopefully that won't escalate any further, travel advice at the moment is just to exercise caution. Weather is drier on the west coast of Thailand in the summer months, think they get their main monsoon season in October.

sparrowcottage Mon 17-Feb-14 06:28:42

we have been a few times with kids 8 to 16, we all much prefered Koh Lanta to Phuket, stayed at Marina Lanta where they have little bamboo huts on grass right on the beach. we had 2 huts and it worked really well. great food obv. and we hired a jeep for a few days and explored. loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now