Talk

Advanced search

Airbnb Urgh!

(5 Posts)
missinglalaland Wed 12-Feb-14 13:57:54

Nothing but problems from the moment I signed up.

My account hacked three weeks ago. Had to cancel credit card, replace passwords all over internet, etc. First time in over 20 years of using the internet this has ever happened to me. Suppose I should count myself lucky. Account still not correct though!

Traveling tomorrow and cannot access account because I cannot "verify" my identity. It requires my Drivers License number but does not accept mine. Perhaps because it is British and not American? Another option is to capture a picture from my Mac's webcam. This is never clear enough, so that doesn't work either. In short, until I "verify" myself I am locked out of my account.

After finding their secret phone number, I am told that I will have to link through Facebook. Um, no thanks. Given the hot mess that is "Airbnb" I think I'd rather keep it compartmentalised and contain the damage.

Airbnb is a nice idea, but I'd rather wait until they sort out all their operational issues before I jump on the bandwagon. Sadly for me, we travel tomorrow. I hope we have somewhere to sleep after already paying £500.

BTW secret phone number if dialling from Britain is 020 3318 1111.

TalkinPeace Wed 12-Feb-14 21:33:14

are you going to New York?
just that AirBnB is technically illegal in New York so landlords have to be careful.
WE paid ours privately outside their system by bank transfer during our stay

missinglalaland Wed 12-Feb-14 21:41:37

No, not NY, just Paris. So that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I do worry about my data though!

TalkinPeace Wed 12-Feb-14 21:43:51

hmmm, do you have the landlords phone number ....

missinglalaland Wed 12-Feb-14 22:29:47

Yes! I'm optimistic at the moment. It's been a pain though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now