Talk

Advanced search

WiFi !!

(8 Posts)
3catsandcounting Sun 09-Feb-14 14:24:06

Has anyone ever rented one of those mobile wifi units for use abroad (particularly Lake Garda) ?
I've got 2 teens who couldn't possibly survive without it for 2 weeks and I know there'll be free or paid wifi around, but as we're in a mobile home on a campsite I thought one of these devices would be handy (for all of us!) I know you can rent them from Avis etc at the airport but how do they work? (being thick!) and how effective are they?

3catsandcounting Sun 09-Feb-14 21:16:09

Anybody??

dinodino27 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:21:03

no idea - on what you are talking about - not even heard of them - but just thought i 'd reply that we have done Eurocamp on lake garda and could pay for wifi at the site office (we didn't but we saw teenagers on ipads )_- we could access internet on iphones - not sure how but bill was no more than usual when we got back)

Sorry realize than was probably no use

clio51 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:25:15

Do you mean a dongle, that preloaded with x amount of money

3catsandcounting Mon 17-Feb-14 11:23:59

Thanks for the replies - not really sure how these things work; but its a small pocket-sized device that gives you 1Gb a day, serves up to 5 devices st a time and you pay €5 a day to get your very own wifi hotspot! Seems a bit too good to be true (and I guess it depends on 3G coverage around Garda). I'm useless with anything techy; I need to get DH involved don't I??

Glitterfeet Mon 17-Feb-14 19:20:33

We put data sharing on one of our mobiles every couple of days. That creates a wifi hot spot that we all connect to. It usually works out cheaper than buying wifi at a campsite, they can sometimes be very pricey. Obviously check out your tariff and how much data you get when roaming. We don't let the kids watch you tube but it's enough to let us update Facebook and send some emails.

Glitterfeet Mon 17-Feb-14 19:21:44

We turn off data in the days in between so we don't get charged.

3catsandcounting Tue 18-Feb-14 09:27:05

Thanks glitter, will check that out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now