Talk

Advanced search

How the flip do you check in a car seat when booking a flight??

(13 Posts)
SwivelHips Sat 08-Feb-14 14:08:17

Not a bloody clue. Can you do it on-line when booking a flight? I can see sports equipment and a bike option but no blinking car seat. It's jet2. Plus £40 quid a bag? wtf Okay I haven't flown for a few years but £40 quid? I was trying to avoid Ryanair but this lot seem just as bad....
Thanks smile

SwivelHips Sat 08-Feb-14 14:12:16

Ah found it. I'm okay if it comes to 10k in total. I forgot about his buggy...will a Maclaren buggy and a car seat weight in at less than 10k? Why am I so clueless....just twigged DS doesn't have a passport either. FFs getting stressed now smile

glammanana Sat 08-Feb-14 14:22:56

If you go to their home page and click on "everything else" you will find drop down menu,go to travelling with children & animals and click on that,you will see that as long as your seat does not weigh more than 10kg it is classed in with your baggage allowance and checked in with your normal luggage over 10KG and excess baggage costs kick in,hopes this helps you we had to search for this when we booked for short trip last month.

glammanana Sat 08-Feb-14 14:26:55

They should come to under 10kgs ?? make sure you remove all bits and bobs from both and keep in your bag,I think it is about £80.00 for PP not too sure now and think it covers up until maybe 5yrs old ?? they should be supplied free of charge for little 'uns !! best of luck with the stress levels.

cupoftchai Sat 08-Feb-14 14:30:02

I thought u got to bring 2pieces of baby gear, free, just check them in at airport, no need to do anything about them online first. This was with easyjet and Ryanair

specialsubject Sat 08-Feb-14 19:12:02

I would suggest getting the passport first!! And an EHIC if you are going within Europe, as well as the travel insurance.

magentastardust Sat 08-Feb-14 21:55:12

jet2 permit a stroller and a car seat per child.
You just put your car seat in the excess baggage hold bit-so we normally put them in a bag or bin liner with flight details and name label attached.
You don't check it in online it is done at departure.

Janek Sat 22-Feb-14 15:45:00

You need to book it when you're booking though i think magenta.

dinodino27 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:25:19

I just show mine (always have 2 ) at check in - they give me a tag and I take to over size luggage. NEVER been asked to pay and I have flown - Easyjet (several times), RyanAir, Jet2 and Monarch as well as the not so budget ones like Thai and Virgin. No hassle at any- although I do remember the girl at a Ryan air check in asking us to put the car seats on top of the check in case to weigh (I assume to check we were within the total weight allowance - although she did not explain- and we were well within weight)

magentastardust Sat 22-Feb-14 19:37:54

no we have never had to prebook taking car seats. If you were taking a car seat on board for the baby to sit in then you would probably need to prebook.

Janek Sun 23-Feb-14 07:59:11

Hmmm, thinking about it, we've never prebooked the pushchair, but the one time we took a carseat we did prebook it because ryanair say you can take one piece of infant equipment and the carseat was our second.

I'm wondering now if i could have got away without paying for it now... Particularly because i had to book a return journey for it and it was only going one way.

Totesamazeballs Sun 23-Feb-14 08:05:11

Just worth a mention, the cars seat would normally go in the hold so make sure you ask about them not knocking it around.

MillyMollyMama Sun 23-Feb-14 12:55:35

We always put the children in the car seat on the plane so the seat belt fitted! Probably no-one does this now but it is safer! We paid for DCs to have their own seats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now