Talk

Advanced search

swim nappies and wetsuits

(7 Posts)
charliejoesmummy Wed 05-Feb-14 12:36:47

Sorry if im posting in the wrong section. Iv done a bit of googling but cant find the answer. Im taking my little boy to alcudia in the middle of june, he will be 21 months when we go. Iv been looking into what he will be wearing in and around the pool,beach and in the sea. Im slightly confused. Iv decided on a splash about reusable swim nappy witha disposable swim nappy underneath. But then iv seen the wetsuits to keep them warm, then the warmer wraps , then theres different kind of wetsuits, some to keep them warm, some for uv protection. Which one do i go for? im panicking hes going to be cold in the pool but then i dont want him to be too warm in a wetsuit when the sun gets him. Sorry for babbling im just confused
thank you in advance for any advice
amy x

notso Wed 05-Feb-14 12:46:14

I use the UV suits like these they dry quickly and give good protection from the sun in the pool and out. We went away for 2 weeks and my toddlers had 4 each and pretty much lived in them.

I also use float jackets I prefer them to arm bands.

noramum Wed 05-Feb-14 13:42:11

We took a UV suit, thin one, not a wet suit which is neopren, and a disposable swim nappy.

But, DD hated the UV suit when wet, she shivered in the water and we had nearly 40 degrees. So she ended up in the water in a normal swim suit and we used the UV suit for sandcastle building.

I just smeared lots of water resistant suncream on her before she went into the water and when she was out straight from the towel to the suit or T-shirt and shorts.

mistlethrush Wed 05-Feb-14 13:46:04

We holiday in the UK in the summer. DS has had a wetsuit from an early age - whilst children in the sun suits have to come out of the water after 10mins, he's fine all day long, and it also offers the sun protection too. I know the UK is slightly different temperature wise!

specialsubject Wed 05-Feb-14 14:23:27

mid June so peak UV levels. All wetsuits protect from UV. Rash vests/sunsuits also do, but won't keep him warm - in fact windchill will cool him off.

different things. BTW with a wetsuit, remove as if peeling a banana.

charliejoesmummy Wed 05-Feb-14 15:17:18

so if i get some of the uv all in ones, is it worth getting one of the warm wraps to put over the uv suit to make sure hes warm? and if it is will it fit under the float jackets? Sorry for all the questions...first time mummy smile

specialsubject Wed 05-Feb-14 17:21:33

get several UV suits. put child in pool or sea wearing one (under supervision of course). Extract from pool, remove wet uv suit, put on a dry one plus any extra clothes needed. Add hat and more suncream. Wet one will dry in 30 minutes if left in the sun.

or put on wet suit, put child in pool - he will probably last longer in that although be aware that a wet suit works by trapping water which he then heats up with body heat, so it's not much good if it doesn't fit well. Protect any exposed skin with a UV suit as well. On leaving pool, remove both and put dry clothes on him.

he probably won't want to stay long in the water whatever you do. A shallow toddler pool will be warmer.

stay in shade between 1130 and 3pm, still with suncream on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now