Talk

Advanced search

Half Term - late booking

(20 Posts)
louisea Wed 05-Feb-14 08:45:45

Looks like DD's passport isn't going to be back in time for half term so I'm looking for a last minute booking in the UK. Given the weather of late I'm not sure where to take two 14 year old boys and an 11 year old girl except for somewhere like Center Parcs.

Can anyone suggest somewhere in the UK? We're in NW London but can drive.

Also, can we travel to Ireland without a passport?

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 05-Feb-14 11:09:46

The Manor House Hotel in Devon could work. Absolutely loads of indoor activities are on offer from curling to candle making. There are a couple of small pools, bowling, mini golf and most is included or there is a small charge for craft activities. It's cheaper than a Center Parcs break and food is included.

louisea Wed 05-Feb-14 12:07:02

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm not sure what part of the country isn't going to be rainy or flooded over the half term.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 05-Feb-14 12:43:46

I went to Center Parcs in the May/June half term 2012, the Jubilee week and it rained the whole time apart from two hours and it was pretty miserable. We just got soaked going everywhere.

Janek Wed 05-Feb-14 12:52:35

When did you apply for the passport? I got my dd a new (ie 2nd) passport in January and came back in much less than a fortnight, despite not having used check and send. I was very pleased as the morning i sent it we weren't planning on going anywhere, by that evening we'd booked flights to dublin...

Re travelling to ireland, you don't need a passport if you go by ferry, but you need it as ID to fly, even to the North, or you do with Ryanair anyway, we checked due to our impending flight...

louisea Wed 05-Feb-14 13:08:35

Thanks Janek. Mine came back in 5 days but DDs had to be certified. She's a minor and both of my neighbours who sign have said that they have both been contacted recently when they've signed for others. Neighbour's DD's passport took 3 week to come back because of verification. Passports was sent on Saturday. Got a text message this morning to say passport had been received and it is all in process but didn't give and estimate of when they would send it back. Keeping fingers crossed.

Janek Thu 06-Feb-14 09:15:22

Oh yeah, half term is actually really close now, isn't it? I hadn't taken that into account when responding. I bet it will be back, but you're right not to rely on that. Particularly if it's her first passport.

louisea Thu 06-Feb-14 09:21:23

It's a renewal so hoping that it won't take as long but chances are that it won't be back in time. Still keeping fingers crossed though that I can make a last minute booking on Thursday night. Had intended on going to Brussels and the surrounding area for a few days. Oh well, might make me take care of things more promptly next time.

Janek Thu 06-Feb-14 10:59:52

Did you know that you can apply for a new passport up to nine months in advance whilst maintaining the old expiry date, ie you don't lose time on the old passport, it's just added on to the new one?

I am wondering if you can get to brussels without a passport anyway - there's some fact about being able to travel from Poland to London without ever needing to show your passport, but i'm not sure of the methods of transport involved. Presumably driving over (obscure) land borders, but don't know about how to leave/enter the UK.

The most annoying bit about renewing a passport is sending off the old one - then you really have nothing to prove anything!

Hope it all works out for you anyway.

louisea Sat 08-Feb-14 23:30:45

It was completely my fault. I knew it was about to run out but dithered about sending the forms. Asked neighbour if he would sign the forms then his mum died so I put the whole thing off. By the time I got around to asking again he was barely at home due to work commitments. Eventually asked another neighbour who I should have gone to weeks ago but didn't think to ask her originally.

If we were already in Europe it wouldn't be a problem. But like you, I don't think that we can leave the UK without a passport.

revealall Sun 09-Feb-14 14:26:50

Jersey? Can do ferry from Portsmouth so straight down the A3 or fly from Southampton. Think you would need valid ID to fly but not a passport.

Weather is usually a bit better and lots of castle type things to explore.

revealall Sun 09-Feb-14 14:36:15

Ahh may be not....just looked at the current forecast ...sorry!!

louisea Sun 09-Feb-14 20:32:37

Looks like we'll be staying at home. Will have to find things for us to do in London instead.

Christelle2207 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:46:46

I recently applied for a new passport with countersignature for my ds and it came back in less than a week so you never know.

louisea Mon 10-Feb-14 15:39:22

Keeping fingers crossed.

Janek Mon 10-Feb-14 16:19:01

Still no news then? How annoying!

louisea Mon 10-Feb-14 16:34:36

Nope, no news yet. Earnestly checking the lobby every time I hear something rattle the door. All we got in this morning's post was this year's tax code.

3nationsfamily Mon 10-Feb-14 16:38:04

What about a city break to Edinburgh. Loads to see and do for families and no snow this year so far. No flooding here either. We have Castle, Dungeons, shopping, theatre, brilliant museums, check out Camera Obscura, Dynamic Earth, Mary Kings Close underground tour and loads more....

louisea Mon 10-Feb-14 17:53:15

That's a great idea. Will look in to it this evening.

differenttoyou Sat 22-Feb-14 14:55:49

Unfortunately, we didn't go anywhere. The passport still hasn't arrived. I'm going to call tomorrow to find out if it has been processed. Neighbour said that if they wrote to her she wouldn't see the letter until after half term anyway.

I decided to stay at home and we did a few things locally. Hopefully we'll have a nice summer holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now