Talk

Advanced search

Trunkis - what's the current opinion?

(22 Posts)
Rockdoctor Mon 03-Feb-14 11:01:53

OK, so we're going to start doing short flights with two DCs aged 4 and 6. The 4 year old desperately want a trunki, the 6 yo already has a wheely bag but I'm tempted to buy two trunkis if it means we can get away with hand luggage only. Do people still use them? Are they any good or were they just a bit of a fad?

JassyRadlett Mon 03-Feb-14 11:10:31

We do a lot of travel (including to Australia) with DS who is 2. He got one for Christmas and utterly adores it. He packs his own suitcase, gets more 'control' in the pre-trip rush and I am really looking forward to using it while in transit while flying longhaul (and therefore minus pushchair).

Hoping that more long term users still feel positive!

girlywhirly Mon 03-Feb-14 12:28:01

I don't know what the child weight limit is for Trunkis, you might want to check that for the 6yo. Also they will only fit in the overhead lockers, so have toys/things to do inflight in a separate bag inside to remove when boarding and put away when leaving the plane.

The other possible problem could be if you travel by budget airline, the overhead locker space is at a premium and luggage items on the larger size limit may need to be put in the hold on very full flights, and trunkis aren't able to be squashed into the lockers! I've never used Trunkis but have read about this issue and thought it worth mentioning.

givemeaclue Mon 03-Feb-14 16:26:04

Whenever I see trunkis the parents are pulling them or carrying them and the kids are not riding on them. They are bulky for travel and look inconvenient as parent is juggling, trunki, child who is not riding on trunki, own hand luggage, possibly hold luggage as well

jenpetronus Mon 03-Feb-14 16:32:29

Maybe depends on the age then as DS2 (5) has had one for the last couple of years, took it to Mexico last October - change at Dallas outbound, and Miami coming back & it was brilliant in the airports, he never got off it, made things way easier & used it as a little table for colouring & stuff while we were hanging about. Maybe better on long haul then as we only stowed it overhead for take off/landing...

tassisssss Mon 03-Feb-14 16:36:53

my guys like their pull along suitcases. in fact we have a pretty adorable pic of my littlest with hers aged 2 at Nice airport. It's almost as big as her! Unless you have MILES to walk or are in a massive rush I always like a potter at airports, tires the kiddos out to walk for a bit.

GoAndDoSomeWork Mon 03-Feb-14 16:49:23

My dd has had a trunki since she was 2ish and is now 7. Was great for pulling her on the long walks through stansted airport and for sitting down on for a rest while waiting to check in other luggage. Although she still loves it, her legs are too lanky to be pulled along on it anymore and her clothes are too big to fit many in! On this basis I would say your 6 year old is too old to make it worth your money - maybe you could get him one of the booster rucksacks instead if there is likely to be sibling jealousy ...

In terms of airlines, it fits in ryan air carry on, but last time we flew Ryan air asked us to put it under the seat to use as a foot rest and to free up overhead locker space. Our version does not quite fit in the easy jet luggage checkers (even though it does fit in the overhead lockers) - I don't know if the newer version are that vital couple of centimeters slimmer!

Hope that helps.

CatsAreLikeChocolates Mon 03-Feb-14 16:52:53

My DD loves her Trunki. She had it when she was 2 and she's now 6. It's been fab! It's been such a god send at airports, especially when we've been delayed, as riding about on it it keeps her amused for hours. She also likes to walk and pull it along behind her. I think it helps that she has started to pack it herself and so she can choose what she wants to take on holiday. It's size puts a sensible limit on that, so at least she doesn't end up taking everything but the kitchen sink! Never had a problem getting it in to the overhead lockers, on budget, chartered or scheduled flights. It's also the perfect size to slide under the seat in front for ease of access. The only down side is its lurid pink colour, but it was a gift so can't grumble about that. I would probably chosen a more gender neutral colour, but DD loves the barbie pink so what would I know!?

TenCupsOfTea Mon 03-Feb-14 16:55:06

Ds aged 3 loves his. When staying in hotels it keeps him entertained too. I usually stash some of my stuff in it when travelling to such as dcs change of clothes etc. I would say they are well worth it. He is always adamant he will ride along on it, even though his legs are a bit too long now smile

CaurnieBred Tue 04-Feb-14 17:07:28

Only now she is 9 has DD grown out of hers. We have never put hers in the overhead compartment: it has always gone at her feet (Easyjet, Thomson, Monarch, BA) under the chair in front so that she can access all her bits and pieces whilst we are flying. It was so handy to have whilst waiting in the queues.

Electryone Tue 04-Feb-14 22:09:58

DS3 who was 5 last year when we went to California loved his, sat on it everywhere. And we kept getting looks to - as it was The Gruffalo!

Rockdoctor Wed 05-Feb-14 09:45:47

Thanks everyone. I can see it might be a good investment for the younger one, but not sure about the 6yo - will have to see if there's something more suitable for that age range.

Showy Wed 05-Feb-14 09:54:01

We don't own passports so trunkis aren't just for people going on aeroplanes. DD is 6.9 now and has had hers since 18 months. DS is 2 and had one for his first Christmas. They get lots and lots of use. They use them if they go for a sleepover at grandparents or if we're away for a weekend. They hold enough clothes for a weekend away plus a book, small toy and toiletries. They play with them a lot too. They're forever attaching them together and leading them round the room. DS rides on his round the kitchen and dining room. They're one of the best investments and most used and loved items they own. And we don't go near planes. So they have other uses.

wonkylegs Wed 05-Feb-14 10:12:22

DS has 2 - fire engine one, we bought him and a Bumble bee one that was a gift.
He's had them since he was 2, he's now 5.5 and both have been used extensively on planes, trains and in cars.
They have been fab, we use it as DSs hand luggage and if it's a short enough trip we just distribute his clothes in our suitcases.
On a plane trip - Trunki usually has toys, books, activities, snack and 1 change of clothes + extra pants& socks, toothpaste/brush.
A weekend at granny's it's big enough to take all his stuff.
Ours have been skiing, to Spain, Portugal, London, many many trips to Grandparents, relatives etc. We love them & so does DS.

magentastardust Sat 08-Feb-14 22:04:07

mine loved them for short breaks and over night stays but we found them a bit of a pain for air travel to be honest.
As they open completely open not that easy to just get out a pen or book or certain toy without the whole contents going everywhere. We found rucksacks much easier!

Hersetta Tue 11-Feb-14 09:01:52

We've had a trunkie for 4 years amd travel reasonably frequently on planes as my parents live in spain so lots of trips so see Nanny and Grandad added to a couple of family breaks a year.

My daughter is now6x and hasn't used her trunki for nearly 2 years. They are reasonable heavy - even when empty and they don't actually hold very much and are a complete pain to open in a confined plane enviroment. My DD now has a flight max childrens wheely suitcase - which has a outer strap to hold a teddy bear, which is very light, and holds more than double what a Trunki can and is much easier for me do carry when I do solo trips with the kids on Ryanair to Spain 4 times a year.

We also have a 2 yr old DS and I probably won't use it for him as it is just too heavy to lugg around.

littlebellsmum Tue 11-Feb-14 15:01:32

we love our trunki - DD2 got one for a trip to canada last yr and it held all her toys and clothes for the holiday.

Also have the flight max type things for the older ones which they got when they were 5 - these too are good. However, for next weeks holiday on the train, the older 2 will be using their backpacks as they are easier to carry and DD2 may be taking the trunki - it's good for playing on at the destination and also if we have to do any standing on trains

dontyouknow Wed 12-Feb-14 22:10:31

I agree the 6 yo is too old for one. Personally I don't think I would get one for a 4 yo.

DD loved hers. We got it when she was 2. She is now 7 and used it until a year ago. It has been on lots of planes, and also used for when she stays at her grandparents or we go away for a weekend in this country.

We really liked it and will get one for DS for his first birthday in a few months.

As others have said, they don't actually seem to hold as much as you think they will.

AuditAngel Wed 12-Feb-14 22:26:30

Our older 2 DC have one each, but 2 years ago DD slipped on hers and head butted the concourse. We won't use them again.

OddFodd Wed 12-Feb-14 22:31:53

DS nearly 7 uses his every time we go away. It just has his toys/games in it and the rule is that if it doesn't fit in the trunki, it doesn't go in. He pushes himself along or I drag him (he lifts his legs up) which is great if the plane arrives miles away and it's late. It fits in all the overhead lockers and within easyjet's size restrictions. Works for us and still see lots of other people using them.

They're not at all heavy empty either confused

Sharaluck Wed 12-Feb-14 22:40:15

They look very inconvenient and bulky for air travel.

For a young toddler I wouldn't have them have a bag at all. Just take a backpack for yourself and pack lightly for both of you In other words keep your hands free and your toddler light.

For the older child, they can have a small backpack. Pack lightly once again. Then they have their hands free.

I really don't understand the need for so much hand luggage. It is a nuisance to access and store in the plane. Smaller bags are easier to squeeze into overhead lockers and can also fit under the seat in front of you.

Pack as light as you can. Buy snacks and drinks at the airport before you board and then you can reduce the amount of extra snacks/drinks needed during the flight. Use inflight entertainment, good for both children and adults I've found.

If you want a chair for a toddler to sit in while in queues, borrow an airport stroller.

Sharaluck Wed 12-Feb-14 22:52:02

Sorry I just saw you fly hand luggage only.

I guess this is a bit different as you need to pack a lot of stuff and they are really used as small suitcases and not just to carry things for inflight.

Travelling with hand luggage only is always going to be more difficult with children if they become difficult/tired and need carrying themselves or need their own luggage carried. If you do go with trunkis I'd still suggest backpacks for yourselves so that you have your hands free to carry child/pull trunki etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now