Talk

Advanced search

Best way to get to/book Efteling

(18 Posts)
mynameismskane Mon 03-Feb-14 09:34:31

Hi! We want to take our kids to Efteling (they are 6 and 4) but I'm not sure what the best way to book is! The website is a bit confusing and where should we fly to and then how should we get there? Any tips would be gratefully received!
Thanks

magentastardust Mon 03-Feb-14 10:28:12

I have no idea but do remember reading about Efteling on here before -have you searched in the archive -there should be some posts until someone who has been comes along!

MissHC Mon 03-Feb-14 10:30:35

It's not really near an airport. Could you drive at all? Otherwise I'd fly to Eindhoven and go from there, possibly by airport transfer to the park.

AnotherWorld Mon 03-Feb-14 10:34:00

We just booked Efteling for the summer holidays. We booked direct and are planning to drive. Did it last year too smile

yourlittlesecret Mon 03-Feb-14 16:11:03

When DC were 8 or 9 we went across on North Sea Ferries overnight, drove south through Holland and stayed in Center Parcs.
Did Efteling as a day out. Lovely as it is it's not worth flying to Holland just for that.

Procrastreation Mon 03-Feb-14 16:13:02

We drive out (& easily fill 4 days there staying in the village - your DC are perfect age for it).

The website it pants - but if you phone up they get you sorted out.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 03-Feb-14 19:24:49

Where are you coming from?

mynameismskane Tue 04-Feb-14 23:20:37

Thanks all. Driving seems more sensible. I'll look into ferries. I'm coming from the UK

mynameismskane Tue 04-Feb-14 23:21:48

Which is the nearest centre parc to Efteling?

PortofinoRevisited Tue 04-Feb-14 23:24:44

We are booked up for De Kempervennen - that is meant to be about 45 mins drive.

PortofinoRevisited Tue 04-Feb-14 23:25:24

Where in the UK I meant ;-)

PortofinoRevisited Wed 05-Feb-14 09:43:58

Landal Het Vennenbos and Duc de Brabant are both close to De Efteling as well.

yourlittlesecret Wed 05-Feb-14 15:10:18

We stayed in De Kempervennen.
I honestly can't see you wanting more than a day at Efteling unless you are really theme park mad. It's interesting and gothic, but not that big. It does have some wonderful rides for younger children but there are a few white knuckles they won't be allowed on.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 05-Feb-14 18:55:24

I think a day is enough too. The Fairytale wood was more fun than the rides for dd. Though there is a lot for smaller children.

Procrastreation Thu 06-Feb-14 12:29:13

But I found the charm of eftelng was that it was much less hectic than Disney. Especially with younger children, it's lovely to just mosey around and go at their pace. The fairy tale wood isn't huge, but it took us a whole morning to explore. The Ravelijn show is good - and then we combined it with eating in the attached restaurant - which was pretty much another half day.

Procrastreation Thu 06-Feb-14 12:33:22

I don't like it as much on weekends - btw. Can't be bothered with queues and crowds. Midweek in the morning, we've been known to ride the fairy ride three times back-to-back grin . The maze, the boats, the gondola, the pandadroom, the pedalo trains, the legoland bit, the carousels ..... Its very easy to have a pretty laid back slow paced day(s) with young DC.

PortofinoRevisited Thu 06-Feb-14 12:43:18

I do like the Fairy Ride!

oricella Thu 06-Feb-14 13:02:14

It's easy enough to get to by public transport: fly into Amsterdam Schiphol, catch a train to Den Bosch (also called 's Hertogenbosch), takes about 1 hour. From the station there are direct busses to the Efteling, takes about 45 minutes I think. Driving will be more flexible, but you can get everything you need in and around the park, or in walking distance in the village. My 5 and 7 year old easily spent 2 whole and 2 half days there and are already planning their next visit. I've grown up with it and love going back; even sceptical DH was entertained for most of the time.

Do try and go outside Dutch school holidays and don't worry too much about bad weather - there's lots to do inside as well and rain means less waiting, more fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now