Talk

Advanced search

Family resort recommendations gratefully received!

(23 Posts)
annaban Sun 12-Jan-14 19:41:51

Hi all,

I'm looking for any of your recommendations for a hotel / resort / holiday destinations?

DH, DD (currently 19 months) are looking for a week abroad in March / April. Probably no further than a 3.5 / 4 hour flight from the UK. Lovely hotel, good toddler facilities etc.

Any suggestions or links gratefully recieved.

TIA

AB

annaban Sun 12-Jan-14 19:42:29

*received!! i before e except after c shock

JanuaryShoes Sun 12-Jan-14 19:45:49

Depends on your finances but Sani in Greece is amazing

topsmart Sun 12-Jan-14 19:46:29

We (me, DH, DD1 aged 6 and DD2 aged 5 months) had a lovely time at the Barcelos Castillo resort in fuerteventura. Think that meets your flight time max? We picked it for the same reason! Went half board but in lovely self catering apartment overlooking beach.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 12-Jan-14 19:47:09

Sensatori are great. At that time of year would try the one in Tenerife.
Sani looks gorgeous when have looked at it January, wish we could fly there from Newcastle.

annaban Sun 12-Jan-14 19:50:44

Thanks both, I'll check them out!
excited face

topsmart Sun 12-Jan-14 19:57:50

Sorry spelt incorrectly - should be Barcelo Castillo
Found cheapest to book directly with resort. Meant we could negotiate even better room on arrival too grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 12-Jan-14 20:22:48

Ooh that looks gorgeous topsmart, just checked their website .

topsmart Mon 13-Jan-14 12:08:36

Ooh kendodds it was, it was.
Doubt we'll ever afford to go again! Would have done sensatori but couldn't find a room to suit within budget - were quite keen to not have to share with both DDs and wanted S/c so we wouldn't have to feed baby all meals in restaurant. And sometimes u just need breakfast in your pjs!
But one day we'll do a swim-up room at a sensatori resort, one day...

annaban Mon 13-Jan-14 16:13:26

I'm very close to sold on the Tenerife sensatori so thank you very much for that recommendation (and all responses!!)

Re: sensatori - does anyone who has been there have any more info on the rooms?

I doubt we could stretch to a suite, but not overly keen on sharing a room with DD (who will be 20/21 months). She is a fantastic sleeper (thankfully!) but I imagine would be disturbed by us wandering around room (fridge - balcony) grin are the rooms big enough to accommodate a cot?

Also, is there any babysitting available for a couple of evenings? The nursery looks great for a few mornings wink

Thanks again x

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 13-Jan-14 18:01:02

I would really recommend it , great holidays .

PuggyMum Mon 13-Jan-14 18:10:55

We're just waiting for dd's passport and will be booking the Taurito princess on gran canaria via Thomson. We love the look of the sensatori but just can't justify at the moment!

BirdersWife Tue 14-Jan-14 21:33:24

Sani is fabulous. The weather doesn't get good until late May if you can wait until then. And they have fabulous deals during term time.

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 14-Jan-14 21:43:50

I have been to Tenerife yes , what do you want to know ?

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 14-Jan-14 21:46:50

Sorry pressed send too soon !
We had a normal room (they are all junior suites) and they have ample room for a cot. Good size balconies .
The crèche do evening sessions which are £26 - you can leave them from 7 to 11.30. The crèche has a proper bedroom so all of the children are put to bed as normal. It was the first holiday we went on with DD and we loved it.
We have gone to the various Sensatori since they opened , so good for families but have lots of luxury too.

annaban Sun 16-Feb-14 10:06:28

Just to update you, and in case it is of any interest, we got a fantastic deal on the Turkey sensatori (incidentally, the only sensatori where you can book the crèche facilities at the moment, for some reason?!)

Flying out of Manchester on 1 April, all inclusive for 7 days... A great price if anyone is looking for hols around then!!

AB

givemeaclue Sun 16-Feb-14 19:27:39

Just be prepared its not full season in Turkey at that time as it hasn't warmed up yet.
Have a lovely holiday

dinodino27 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:59:31

Martinhal in Portugal. Very child friendly - expensive but worth it. We have been 3 times and our kids love it. The best bit (and i just dont get why more places dont think of this) is they have a nanny to mind/play with the kids at breakfast and dinner so you can relax. So that is the kids eat breakfast with you and then you can read the papers and relax whilst they play for half an hour -bliss. Similarly in the evening they play whilst the meal is cooked and you can enjoy a cocktail.

There is indoor and outdoor pools. Its right on the beach. There is a sandpit you can watch whilst having a drink in the restaurant. There is also a kids club, it is additional charge and we thought expensive - but very secure and they did good things with the kids like t shirt printing, cake baking and nature trails - so again worth the money.

annaban Sun 16-Feb-14 22:32:20

Thanks Dino - that sounds amazing! We've actually booked elsewhere, but I'll check our your recommendation for next hol!!

AB

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 17-Feb-14 11:18:11

You do know that the season in Turkey doesn't really start until May? So there might not be much to do outside the hotel. And also be prepared as it can rain and it gets very cold at night so bring something warm for the evenings and some warm pjs!

Have a great time though smile

givemeaclue Mon 17-Feb-14 12:11:33

Also pools and sea won't be that warm so unless hotel has a heated pool, which most don't in turkey, it may be wise to take a wetsuit for that time of year. Definitely for your child if they want to go in the water. Average temp in Turkey at that time is around 16 degrees although of course it could be much warmer or much cooler. Crèche sounds great idea so child can be entertained even if weather not brilliant. Side is a really lovely place with great beach.

annaban Mon 17-Feb-14 19:59:04

Thanks all, we can't go any later unfortunately so just having to take our chances with the weather... It's got to be warmer than here surely?! (UK)

Crèche at Sensatori looks great, and excellent call with the wetsuit, will pick one up :D

Looking forward to seeing Side, but mainly just relaxing, eating, drinking playing and reading! grin

Thanks for all the tips - such a helpful bunch wink

brooncoo Tue 18-Feb-14 00:33:06

Doubt I'd go to Turkey and expect that great weather. We have had great weather in May though so fingers crossed for you.

I'd usually go to the Canaries that time of year for a short flight time of 3-5 hours. Also Israel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now