Talk

Advanced search

Cornwall holiday destinations - any recommendations?

(9 Posts)
Hughsie Mon 23-Feb-04 20:11:26

I am hoping to plan a family holiday to Cornwall for a week in May. Has anyone got anywhere they would recommend. Two adults and two boys aged 3 and 1 (both in cots!) so two bedrooms at least and preferably not too far from the sea and the Eden project - Any ideas gratefully received.

thirtysomething Mon 23-Feb-04 20:18:35

Depends on your budget - Sands Hotel and Bedruthan steps (both between Newquay and Padstow) are good for families with creche/babysitting, kids' clubs, pools and family suites but they're not cheap! We stayed at a place near Looe which was great as it was several small cottages around a communal pool/children's playground area so we had our privacy but there were loads of other children around to play with too plus a few animals wandering around. The website is at www.wringworthy.co.uk. The beaches around there aren't all that great as they're quite rocky so if you're after sand the area around Newquay may be better. Rock is nice too but very pricey!

Hughsie Mon 23-Feb-04 20:31:51

Thanks - i've made the mistake of going on holiday without a recommendation before and ended up in totally unsuitable places so it is great to get an insight. Budget is felxible at the moment - I'd rather pay more and get the right facilities than not enjoy it as much.

roisin Tue 24-Feb-04 13:27:07

Hope you get some recommendations Hughsie - definitely worth it. We spent a miserable fortnight in Cornwall staying in a dump because we hadn't got personal recommendations!

Janstar Tue 24-Feb-04 13:41:56

When we were little we stayed in a caravan park in Gorran Haven and we had a great holiday. It was an easy drive into Mevagissy for walks round the harbour and souvenir shopping. I am sure we used to go to the beach so there must be a decent one nearby. And it is near the Eden Project too.

Hughsie Tue 24-Feb-04 13:46:09

At the moment I am thinking of booking wringworthy as the site was lovely - not sure that the outdoor pool will be much use in May but you never know - I think we will have a day out at the eden project and may travel to sandy beaches elsewhere too butthe place looks great for children and the response to my enquiry was pleasant and thorough so thanks thirtysomething!

Azure Tue 24-Feb-04 13:54:20

We had a really enjoyable 2 nights at Fowey Hall (part of the luxury family hotel group) - separate room for DS, a creche where DS happily spent an hour, indoor swimming pool and babylistening so DH and I could enjoy an adult dinner. Expensive, though. We went to the Eden project from there. We hired a cottage in Padstow for the week and the 2 nights at the hotel were in the middle of that week. Weather (in June) was poor, unfortunately.

thirtysomething Tue 24-Feb-04 21:28:13

Hughsie - yes Wringworthy was lovely, we went last August so we used the outdoor pool all the time (it's fenced off too!) but to be honest the kids would have been just as happy without it if the weather hadn't be as hot as the playground and play barn were excellent (plus there's lots of books and videos to borrow in the playbarn) and they loved the animals - the farmer let all the kids help him feed them in the mornings and was happy for the kids to take any eggs the hens laid! It's relatively well positioned too - only about 30 mins from Plymouth and 15 minutes to a Safeway although it is very rural too! We rented Horseshoe Cottage which was fine for four people but ours weren't in cots so I'm not sure how good it would be for you as the second bedroom had twin beds in it. There was also a bit of a step down to the bathroom so I don't know if this would be a problem with your little one?

anto Tue 24-Feb-04 22:07:01

If you want a real rest and would be happy to use childcare I would really recommend Bedruthan. The surrounding countryside is beautiful, with particularly stunning beaches at Mawgan Porth, Constantine Bay and Watergate Bay. And Bedruthan is really good for kids - fab children's teas (pandemonium - be warned), really good babylistening service, nice food and good childcare. Even if yours won't go in the clubs, they have a soft playroom, a big ballroom full of scooters etc, and entertainment after tea every day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: