Talk

Advanced search

Advice please re taking medication abroad

(9 Posts)
bunny27 Fri 05-Jul-13 12:35:15

Hello, we're travelling abroad for the first time in approx 20 years and as DH has a chronic illness we need to carry medication - no liquids - its all tablets. I've looked at airport, airline (jet 2) and government websites but am confused. Can anyone please advise - do we need to carry a supporting letter from our gp as to why we have the medication or will carrying a copy of the prescription suffice? The websites seem to say its only liquids that we need supporting documentation but I could be misunderstanding. We're going to Madeira so do we need to check what the airport ( Manchester), airline and Madeira will accept separately? Thanks in advance for any advice.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 05-Jul-13 12:59:19

I would just get a covering letter from the GP to keep with the required medication. Keep all medications together in the hand luggage and in their boxes.

bunny27 Fri 05-Jul-13 15:43:38

thanks Attila - yes it's probably the best bet and will cover anyone who questions - thanks for responding.

SofiaAmes Fri 05-Jul-13 15:47:07

Make sure you look up the generic name for it and the name for it in the country you are going to. Just in case somehow the medicine gets lost/stolen. Also carry it in your carry on bag, so there is no chance of losing it.

specialsubject Fri 05-Jul-13 20:15:05

must be in carry on bag, end of. The airport and airline won't care as they are not liquids.

Take a letter from the GP just in case, and check if anything is banned where you are going - can't imagine Madeira is an issue.

jamtoast12 Tue 09-Jul-13 20:32:15

I take lots of meds on holiday every year, never have gp letter and never put them in hand luggage! Always in the hold. It's not a huge nightmare if they we lost or delayed though.

Selks Tue 09-Jul-13 20:36:30

You probably don't need a GP letter unless it's for something like diazepam. But take them in the original packaging that has the pharmacy prescription sticky label on it (this was the advice that the pharmacist told me).
I've just flown to and from Malaysia and Brunei and on the way had all my meds in my hand luggage but nobody was interested at either Heathrow or at the other end. So on the way back I just stuck it in my hold luggage.

specialsubject Tue 09-Jul-13 21:39:26

...whereupon you would have been utterly stuffed if the bag had been lost.

essential meds MUST always be kept with you.

bunny27 Wed 10-Jul-13 08:21:00

Thanks everyone. We've obtained a doctors letter just in case. I think its best we take all the medication in hand luggage as DH would be stuffed without it. May put in hold on way back as wouldnt be a problem then. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now