Talk

Advanced search

DISASTER! We're off to the Lakes District (Ambleside) in a couple of weeks and....

(23 Posts)
Josw19 Fri 02-Jun-06 11:18:53

......it looks like a brilliant long massive 'what to do, where to go' thread from last year has been removed from Mumsnet! I've tried archived search but you can only search for 2006 threads now So feel free to recommend away again. Things I remember from the previous thread are Brockhole (sp?) South Lakes Wild Animal Park and Ravenglass railway but there was plenty more. GRRR I should have printed it off before now! . Any family friendly good restaurants/cafes would be mosy welcome too. Many thanks in advance

tortoiseshell Fri 02-Jun-06 11:21:23

boat trip down to lakeside, then steam train ride on lakeside/haverthwaite railway, then boat back to ambleside. fell foot park, coniston (steam boat gondola rides), beatrix potter museum in bowness.

Marina Fri 02-Jun-06 11:29:56

Brockhole has gone, turned into luxury flats, for shame
Grizedale Forest and Sculpture Park is a good day out, Tarn Hows a picture-pretty level walk with a good chance of spotting red squirrels. Muncaster and Laal Ratty are an excellent extended day out too - love Muncaster.
We were always based in Northern Lakes so can't really recommend good places to eat in Ambleside, sorry, but there is a superb pub in Barngates, the Drunken Duck, and I hear the Miller Howe Cafe in Lakeland Plastics' flagship store is very good too.
I think Zeffirelli's is a bit of a Southern Lakes legend but haven't eaten there myself.

JanH Fri 02-Jun-06 11:48:55

The Visitor Centre at Brockhole is still there, Marina?

National Park events search page, J19. Also long list of links to attractions here.

Kathy1972 Fri 02-Jun-06 11:52:08

There's an Indian restaurant in Ambleside that did us a lovely & v good value takeaway last summer (can't remember the name but I think there's only the one).
There's a kind of public park opposite it where you can play tennis, bowls etc - this might be a fun thing to do with children.

JanH Fri 02-Jun-06 11:57:48

visitcumbria.com attractions

Aquarium of the Lakes looks good.

JanH Fri 02-Jun-06 11:59:08

If you click on the special offers link on the Aquarium website you can print off a voucher for free child admission

Josw19 Fri 02-Jun-06 12:18:17

Good ppot Jan H for that free child admission - Nice to see Borckhole is still there! Thanks everyone keep 'em coming

Josw19 Fri 02-Jun-06 12:18:44

Good Spot even

Marina Fri 02-Jun-06 12:46:56

I was SURE it had been converted - something that used to be a tourist attraction on the Lake shore has, I know it.
Very glad it isn't Brockhole then! Sorry for being so dozy.
We like Townend, the NT property above the lake.

RichmondWomble Fri 02-Jun-06 13:30:00

The apple pie shop (I think its called that - the bakery on the corner near bridge house) is a good place to eat. Walking along the shores or Rydal water is lovely and not too difficult, and there's also a large open 'cave' there wonderful for exploring with small children

charliegreensmum Fri 02-Jun-06 13:45:28

Just a second thread to support Muncaster Castle, DH and I had a fab day out there a few years ago and are planning on going back when we're in the Lakes in September. Make sure you stay to see the herons being fed.

CGMum

Josw19 Fri 02-Jun-06 16:49:52

Wow, Muncaster Castle look just up my DS's street! Thanks again everyone.

Josw19 Fri 02-Jun-06 21:54:56

Just bumping for the night crowd

chatee Fri 02-Jun-06 22:10:22

Eden Ostrich world is a good day out(take a picnic with you-there is an indoor seating area if the weather is a little iffy)

chatee Fri 02-Jun-06 22:14:19

nice italian restaurant in ambleside(or at least i think it was ambleside-will check with dh tomorrow)hopefully he will recall the name....not much help am i really??? sorry

jamiesam Fri 02-Jun-06 22:16:12

We are going to Lakes next weekend, without children (first weekend 'off' in five years ) - including a visit to zeffirellis - a cinema and restaurant in Ambleside, but might be good for you depending on age of your children?

Josw19 Sat 03-Jun-06 07:19:14

Thanks everyone, great help and just bumping for the early risers

auntyquated Sat 03-Jun-06 08:29:06

i might have the list from last year on a word document...hang on

auntyquated Sat 03-Jun-06 08:45:35

no sorry- i can't find it.

if your kiddies are ols enough for walks then this is a must walks book for kids . you can buy it at the tourist info shop--about a tenner...suitable for children as young as 3, the walks start of at 1km. set out in 100m squares and gives \them loads to look out for. The Rydal walk is particularly good...you go in the caves.

Aplle pie---is great for lunches...eatin or take out.
Zeffs is good for a veggie evening meal
Lucy's on a plate - good for lunches or eveening meals and good with childern...will do whatever they want if they have it.
there are 2 Indians...make sure you go to the right one ...the one near the library
there are 2 chineses...go to the one near the petrol station
The Log House...on the way to Waterhead...is good for something special.
the piano bar in the little shopping area behind boots has a small soft play arae

when are you going? we used to live in ambleside and now look after a house for a friend who lives abroad. it is let through Heart of the Lakes. where are you staying?

i'll add to this if i think of anyhting else

For younger chldrn go to the Beatrix potter place in Bowness.

scienceteacher Sat 03-Jun-06 16:28:30

Boat trip around Windermere is good - my kids love it.

scienceteacher Sat 03-Jun-06 16:28:31

Boat trip around Windermere is good - my kids love it.

sharry Mon 05-Jun-06 18:32:46

In the centre of the village there is putting and tennis courts. Brathay Park has all the usual sides swings etc. Troatbeck Bridge swimming pool is open to the public and they have an alien invasion on a Saturday afternoon. Keswick spar is an alternative with wave machines and a flume. Brockhole is alive and well plenty of outdoor stuff to do no charge for admittance instead a car-park fee, therefor you can get the bus 555 that will drop you off outside. Grizedale Forest Visitor Centre has lots of scope- bike trails, walks, adventure park and activities like helping to ring owlets build a bat box watch deers in the morning all at a small charge. The sculpture walk is good for smaller children with interactive sculptures. Going ape for the serious adrenaline junkies. The cafe at the centre is brilliant all home cooked and reasonably priced. At Waterhead you can catch a steamer to Brockhole and the Aquarium of the lakes.
You can catch an open-top bus to have a look round it covers Windermere, Ambleside and Grasmere. Canoes, kayaks and bike hire are available at Waterhead.
RSPB at Leighton Moss (on the Milnthorp to Morcombe rd) has activities for children and special activities like listening to the dawn chorus etc.
There are a couple of horse riding stables if that's your cup of tea. Docker Park Farm is Kendal end and is lovely for younger children. Trotters (Keswick end) has monkeys etc. Wildlife oasis (milnthorp) has ants (leaf cutters) stick insects lizards, bats snakes and an outdoor bird enclosure. Stott Park Bobbin Mill is interesting for the history aspect plus there is a nice walk up to high dam from there.
The log house has been taken over it was super, but don't know now. Last meal we had at Zeff's at lunch time was poor won't go again. The Glass house doesn't accept children in an evening only lunch time. Wateredge is a nice place for an evening drink but beware there is likely to be queues and check you bill, we were charged for six bottles of wine instead of glasses. Would recommend PIPPINS- all home made food and you can get basics and unusual, The PRIESTHOLE more of an evening meal good fresh food. The Queens Head Hawkshead is also good as is Drunken Duck the latter a bit more pricey perhaps for a special meal.
Prices for eating out have increased dramatically this season a lamb shank at the Wateredge has gone up from 10.95 in March to 14.95 yesterday!(It's always busy) As also has the Badger Bar, Rydal and Kingshead at (thirlemere,) The Indian is good on King Street Opposite Library and Homes of Football.
If you need any phone numbers to check these details I'll can e-mail them to you.
Have a good holiday- [If you love the outdoors you'll love it!]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: