Talk

Advanced search

Cant find dd passport - can i get a visa?

(10 Posts)
HelloOutThere Thu 27-Jun-13 11:18:57

Lost a passport!! Leave for Italy in 3 weeks does anyone know if i can get a visa for the holiday or any other options? (panicking slightly!!!)

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 27-Jun-13 11:27:08

Why do you need a visa for Italy?

You will have to find the passport or get a replacement before you go or she can't travel. If it is definitely lost you need to get in touch with the passport office quickly to see if you can get a replacement before you go. You may have enough time if you can get to the passport office yourself rather than using the post.

DonutForMyself Thu 27-Jun-13 11:44:50

You should be able to do it while you wait at the passport office (if you're prepared to wait 3-4 hours) but do make sure you've searched for it properly as its probably somewhere obvious. Have you tried:

bag or rucksack last used as hand luggage
handbag or car glove box (used for ID at post office etc?)
filed with bills/birth certificates
in 'man drawer' with spare batteries and other random 'useful' stuff
tucked at the back of the place where it usually kept, get everything out and have a proper sort through

If all else fails put it to the back of your mind and let your subconscious find it (the theory being that you KNOW where it is, but your conscious mind cannot access that at the moment. Leave it to your subconscious to mull it over and it will let you know.)

Trazzletoes Thu 27-Jun-13 11:46:53

You can't get a visa for Italy.

Anyway, even if you had a visa you would still need a passport in order to travel.

Bunbaker Thu 27-Jun-13 22:28:57

It depends where the OP is from. You don't need a visa if you have a British passport.

OH has to apply for visas regularly, but needs his passport for the various consulates to stick them in. He now has two passports for this reason (he travels a lot for work).

Trazzletoes Fri 28-Jun-13 06:42:04

True bunbaker but regardless of whether or not the OP's DD is a British Citizen (and surely the assumption would be that she is, given that she hasn't mentioned she isn't and getting a passport from an embassy is usually even more time-consuming), she still needs a passport (or travel document if you want to be pedantic) to travel.

Rosa Fri 28-Jun-13 08:38:20

You need the passport to get a visa unless you have all the details saved and the passport to travel.....

scaevola Fri 28-Jun-13 08:39:12

I'd assumed non-British (indeed non-EU/ETA) as visa appears necessary.

Well, you need a passport to get a visa. Some places do it on line, but you need number and details of place/date issue etc. Do you have those noted down somewhere, or will you need to get a new passport in order to apply?

You need to crack on with getting a visa anyway (not much time left). But you also need to get on to the consular section of the Embassy of your nationality and see how fast they can turn round a replacement. And then see if you can make those two timelines meet.

Trazzletoes Fri 28-Jun-13 09:32:18

Oh I see. I assumed she thought a visa could take the place of a passport!!!!!

Trazzletoes Fri 28-Jun-13 09:33:49

If you do need a visa, the Embassy would need the physical passport to stick it in anyway.

The upshot is, if the passport is lost, get on to getting a replacement immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now