Talk

Advanced search

GRRRR Ryanair are a rip off

(36 Posts)
CountessDracula Thu 01-Jun-06 13:44:15

They now charge you for ANY baggage in the hold, £5 per item, on top of the fare. Plus if you pay with a credit card they charge £10.40 and they even charge £2.40 for paying with a debit card

Tossers

CountessDracula Thu 01-Jun-06 13:45:22

oh and you are allowed hand baggage up to 10kg (gee, thanks) free of charge but the bag must be no larger than 1cm x 2cm x 1cm or something like that so you would have to fill it with LEAD to reach 10kg

collision Thu 01-Jun-06 13:45:24

I know and it is a scandal!!

Where are you going?

MarsLady Thu 01-Jun-06 13:45:50

blimey! That's completely off.

CountessDracula Thu 01-Jun-06 13:46:10

only to S of France for a weekend in July

MarsLady Thu 01-Jun-06 14:02:14

Last year I took DD2 to Brittany for a week. Cost £4.99 to get there and £9.99 to get back (plus about a tenner in taxes). This year instead of the whole thing costing about £50 for us both it would cost about £150 and that's before the new charges.

So... I'm guessing that unless I see a really good flight deal to Dinard we won't be going. Shame that cos I do love my cheap camembert!

MitchMatch Fri 02-Jun-06 13:58:27

Ryanair is affectionately known as scumair in our house, can't stand them. They're only doing the baggage thing because they lost a court case a couple of years ago and now have to pay huge fines. We went to Italy at christmas and the difference between their fares and BA was £20 (inc taxes) and we got a meal and we got something that represented service at both check-in and on the plane. Which is very nice, especially when travelling with a baby. By the way a friend got charged to take her buggy on scumair as it says that they will try to take buggies, not guarentee it. I don't even look at their website anymore when we travel.

Feel much better now, rant over.

bettythebuilder Fri 02-Jun-06 14:07:03

Ryanair are a swizzle.
I can recommend jet2 as a low cost airline, though (and I don't work for them!) - just recently flew with them, early or on time for both flights, nice cabin crew, 20kg luggage allowed each (and no extra charge!).

MarsLady Fri 02-Jun-06 14:13:50

Just check out flights to Brittany with BA and it works out cheaper than Ryanair.

Sleezyjet don't fly there or not so far as I know anyway.

tissy Fri 02-Jun-06 14:15:34

I don't have a major problem with Ryanair (and use them a lot) their flights are cheap,even with a fiver for baggage, and convenient if you actually want to travel Prestwick-Stansted (which I do). The alternative for us would be Glasgow-Luton (Easyjet) which is always more expensive(even with free baggage). Glasgow Airport is a nightmare to park in, much more expensive, and Easyjet treat you like cattle (lining up in queues before being herded onto the plane). I don't want a meal on a 1 hour flight, and am happier for other people who want to eat over priced sarnies to pay for them!

I think people are disgruntled, as for a while they have been able to get their flights ridiculously cheap (compared to scheduled flights and other modes of transport).

tissy Fri 02-Jun-06 14:17:18

BA are having to cut their costs because of the compettion from Ryanair and Easyjet, though. If they hadn't been undercutting BA, they wouldn't have bothered. You don't get meals on the budget BA flights either.

MaryP0p1 Fri 02-Jun-06 14:21:30

I have to say that we live in Italy and my DH has to go back and forth from the UK alot. Until we had Ryanair it wasn't possible to live because the flights were about £250 each way. That was the swizzle, when ryanair arrived so did cheaper flights not just from Ryanair but other airlines.

tissy Fri 02-Jun-06 14:22:53

You really should look at their website though! If you book this weekend they have some really good deals to some new destinations, as long as you don't want to travel in school holidays or for the World Cup!

(and no I don't have shares in Ryanair!- had I wanted to travel for a weekend of ham-tasting in Parma in the next couple of months, I could get me and dh there and back for £80. That wouldn't get us to London and back from here!)

MarsLady Fri 02-Jun-06 14:27:00

tissy my love, can you find me cheap return flights to Dinard please? Cos I've been looking and it's not working out cheaply at all.

<<Mars smiles knowing that nothing can be done...stifled sob!>>

MarsLady Fri 02-Jun-06 14:27:17

mid August!

tissy Fri 02-Jun-06 14:28:11

you shouldn't be so picky about where and when you want to go, Marslady

MarsLady Fri 02-Jun-06 14:31:41

I know. Sigh....... I'm so demanding!

Imagine, a week sat on a beach in the actual sun with my friend and our DDs. A lovely house just sat there waiting for me to visit. Sigh...................

So ham tasting weekend it is!

tissy Fri 02-Jun-06 14:53:35

have you considered flying to Paris and getting the train? Or, even, just getting the train? The raileurope site is an absolute nightmare, but you could try ringing their office to see what price it would be!

tissy Fri 02-Jun-06 15:02:00

Mars, how many of you would be travelling?
Easyjet are doing Luton-Paris out on 13th August, back on 20th for around £25 per person each way. You could then get a train from Paris to Dinard. It might involve a bit of phoning for the railway leg of it, but I think it could be done (I used to be able to get around the old SNCF site and book tickets online and all, but now you get directed to a RailEurope site which is crap!)

MarsLady Sat 03-Jun-06 15:41:44

sorry tissy... just seen this. It would be me and 1 DD.

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 15:43:44

CD - you're coming to visit! How lovely! I'll get some wine in right now for you!

CountessDracula Sat 03-Jun-06 16:25:11

Where do you live Rhuby? We are going to Carpentras (nr Avignon)

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 16:27:20

We're south west of Bordeaux, near Langon, you could come for a day visit! When in July are you coming over?

CountessDracula Sat 03-Jun-06 16:29:29

Sadly too far we are only coming for a long weekend to visit friends

CountessDracula Sat 03-Jun-06 16:29:39

20 - 23 July

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: