Talk

Advanced search

hi anyone been to the kinderhotels?

(14 Posts)
toothbrush Thu 01-Jun-06 11:19:50

hi we were considering going to one of the kinderhotels at the end of the summer with our 1yr old son. has anyone been & what were they like? thanks

Bugsy2 Thu 01-Jun-06 11:44:44

By LIZS on Thursday, 23 March, 2006 4:49:49 PM I know several families who have been to the Alpenrose in Lermoos - popular with English speaking Expats as well as German speaking families - and it comes highly recommended if a bit pricey.
By EuroExpat on Thursday, 23 March, 2006 4:14:10 PM I´ve been.. Kinderhotel Post in Unken, near Salzburg. It was BRILLIANT!

There was a thread on this a while back & these two posters had either been or knew something about them. I think they look good too.

ernest Thu 01-Jun-06 20:36:36

I've been to several. Very nice. Tho the swiss one (muchetta) not as good as the others in Austria I've been to. Serfaus & area v. child friendly villages. wouldn't recommend the Laderhof tho. The f*ing heating system was so loud, it sounded like a bloody car engine running in our toilet. Owner /manager a complete t**t who's response was that no one else had mentioned it. The tv didn't work & I had to nag for ages to get it changed. Then the drains kicked up and our room, and various parts of the hotel stank like a sewer.

We also stayed in one not part of the chain but essentially the same called the St Zeno which was lovely. I can't remember the name of the best one we've stayed in, but in general get big thumbs up from me

toothbrush Thu 01-Jun-06 23:09:36

thanks for replies. we are looking at the baby hotel or ginas (both in carinthia region of austria)., so if anyone knows what these are like would appreciate feedback. cheers alison.

fez Thu 01-Jun-06 23:16:26

we were looking very excitedly at kinderhotels a few weeks ago and then worked out that the travel time between the airport and the hotel was going to be far too long. problem is we prefer not to fly ryanair (after the dispatches programme on it,etc. etc) and so we were stuck with flying to munich. think we worked out that transfer time will be about 4.5 hours!

for those who have been, how long were your transfer times?

ernest Fri 02-Jun-06 08:24:14

we drove, so can't help there sorry. Couldn't you fly it innsbruck (no idea about the flights, sorry) - is it only ryan air to austria?

fez Fri 02-Jun-06 14:00:42

yes, innsbruck is a possibility but is rather expensive compared to munich. last time i checked it was about £250 per person!

UglySister Sun 04-Jun-06 13:01:29

Hi Toothbrush and hi Liz (who I think gave me the Kinderhotels idea long before the huge advertising campaign was launched??) Yes the one in Unken was absolutely fantastic, absolutely 5 star and only about 25 minutes transfer from Salzburg airport (they will collect you free of charge). Not sure if you would need to hire a car though. You could probably do without for a week´s holiday but wouldn´t be able to visit more of the out of the way places. Will give you more info if you like. We´re off to another KH next month and I can´t wait! Will go back to Unken for the skiing.

LIZS Sun 04-Jun-06 13:10:46

There is a similar group of Swiss hotels listed here of which we've been to a few as have friends, in whcih case you could fly to Zurich, Geneva or even Milan instead. You can sometimes get deals including a discount on rail transfer. Bear in mind they can subscribe to the list though so aren't independently selected afaik.

lapsedrunner Sun 04-Jun-06 16:41:03

I have been to one but I notice it's no longer featured!

Good to see this thread as I am considering one for Oct and had been looking at the Hotel Post (Unken) website. Have to say I like the look of the Gartenhotel Theresia in Sallbach as well.

lapsedrunner Sun 04-Jun-06 16:41:32

..Saalbach even...

lapsedrunner Sun 04-Jun-06 16:48:05

There is also another group of similar hotels in Austria www.familyselecthotels.com

fez Mon 05-Jun-06 13:20:47

ooo... will check the other ones out. which one are you going to uglysister?

UglySister Mon 05-Jun-06 14:39:56

Hi Fez, we´re off to Habachklause and I´m just wondering if can possibly be as good as the one in Unken! Give khs a go Fez!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: