Advanced search

passports and permission

(7 Posts)
flutterby84 Sun 16-Jun-13 14:17:31

my friend and i have decided to take our little ones on holiday next year but as single mum's that have nothing to do with the dad's me because he doesn't want anything to do with my son but legal reasons for my friends. both dads names are on the birth certificates do we need there signitures for the passport forms or written permission from them to take them abroad?

kelly14 Mon 17-Jun-13 14:33:43

I have taken my dd on about 100 flights since she was a few months old to now she is 8, including spain, Dubai and Australia.

I have never ever been stopped or asked for a letter.
My parents took her from Sydney to Gold coast without me and didn't get questioned.

Her dad came over from oz to see her and took her via plane to france with his girlfriend and he wasn't questioned even though she has different surname from him (she has my surname)

Have never needed his signature on passport forms either.

HotCrossPun Mon 17-Jun-13 21:07:41

You need neither.

When you fill in the application form in section 4 it will ask for the fathers details. Fill in as much as you can - don't leave it blank.

Include a covering letter to explain that you don't have any contact with the father and that is the reason you have left their passport number blank.

Send it away with the full birth certificate, 2 photos (one countersigned) and the fee.

Have a great holiday smile

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Tue 18-Jun-13 09:51:13

Yes you might be stopped. Yes you should take a letter of consent if you can get one. If you can't get one then you should take a notarised (ie from a solicitor) statement confirming you have no contact.

Check out the UK border agency guidelines. Certain European airports are becoming (quite rightly) very hot on parental abduction and do stop single (as in 1 not in unmarried!) adults travelling with children not only to check their relationship but also that they have permission from the other parent to leave the country with the child.

To balance the anecdotes of "I've never been stopped" I have been stopped 3 times in the past 2 years, both leaving the country I live in and entering the UK. (on a UK passport)

Just because someone hasn't been stopped in the past doesn't mean they won't be next time. Best to carry the full birth certificate naming yourself as mother.

As for the passport application, as others have said, you don't need the father's consent for that.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Tue 18-Jun-13 09:58:02

This is c and p'd from the first UK lawyers site that came up on google:

"Because of increasing instances of child abduction in custody cases and a growing number of children who are victims of trafficking and pornography, an immigration officer, airline or travel company may ask you to provide a Travel Consent Form if your child is traveling internationally with only one parent or with another adult, such as a grandparent, uncle or aunt.

In an effort to prevent international child abduction , many governments have initiated special procedures for minors at entry and exit points to their countries. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian (s), not present. Having such documentation on hand may facilitate entry or departure. To be of full effect, this document should be sworn and signed before a Notary Public Lawyer.

"Sole Custody" means that only one parent or guardian has the right to make decisions affecting the child. "Joint Custody" means that both parents have the right to participate in making these kinds of decisions. Parents may have Joint Custody even if the child resides with only one parent.

If you are a single parent (by divorce), in addition to the travel Consent Form which must be signed by the Notary Public Lawyer, you will require the long version of the Birth Certificate and a copy of your Custody Order, Judgment or equivalent.

If you are one parent traveling alone with your child, you need the Travel Consent Form to be signed by the absent parent. The Travel Consent Form must include the absent parent's address, telephone number, authorisation to travel, the destination and length of stay.

Travel Consent Forms which are sworn and signed before a Notary Public are required for single parents (by divorce)and minor children to travel to France, Spain, Germany, Australia, China, The Dominican Republic, Japan, Canada, Chile, Dubai, India, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Mexico, United States of America and Vietnam to name a few. "

Jobulzy Sat 20-Jul-13 20:04:34

I've just written my consent firm so if you would like to see a sample, let me know and I'll add it to the post. Cheers

itwillgetbettersoon Sun 21-Jul-13 16:46:35

Yes please it would be useful to see a sample of the consent form.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now