Talk

Advanced search

I may have left this a bit late, but we are going to Germany by car on the 31st, any tips!

(7 Posts)
Overrun Mon 29-May-06 22:16:59

We are taking the Shuttle to Calais and then driving for an estimated six hours to North Germany. We have three boys, aged three and the twins are 18 months. We are staying in a holiday let apartment for 9 days and then a Eurocamp in France for three days.
We have been packing all day, and suddenly I am starting to panic! I am doing all the driving by the way.
Any tips!!?

schneebly Mon 29-May-06 22:19:51

Snacks for the kids! Very Important!!! Your twins will probably sleep a lot I imagine and you could play games with the 3 year old - I spy with colours etc.

schneebly Mon 29-May-06 22:21:04

Take a nice break half way through too - you need it. Have some lively, happy music on in the car to keep you cheerful!

MrsBadgerAvecUneVoiture Mon 29-May-06 22:24:43

General long-distance driving tips (no specific hints on 18mo twins...)

Make sure DH can navigate properly ie give you proper notice of junctions etc - nothing worse than fumbling w maps whilst driving on wrong side of road. He should also take charge of cd changing, food distribution etc.
Pack loads of in-car food and drinks, inc several 2l bottles of water to top up no-spill beakers for the kids and sports bottles for you.
Insulated travel mug that fits cupholder to keep service station coffee warm.
Lots of varied music (jolly, calming, invigorating, singalong etc - iPod playlists great for this)
Take lots of breaks where you all get out and run around!

Overrun Tue 30-May-06 13:26:59

Thanks for that every one, very helpful. I have packed snacks, cds and will try I spy with colours with three year old.

scienceteacher Tue 30-May-06 13:34:53

We once drove to Frankfurt with kids similar ages to yours - DH had a business meeting and we turned it into a long weekend.

We stopped in Bruges for lunch and the afternoon, which was lovely. In Germany, we came across a themepark called Phantasialand, and that was very nice (similar to Thorpe Park).

emkana Tue 30-May-06 20:01:38

Whereabouts in Germany are you driving to?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: