Talk

Advanced search

Visit London with 18-month old, Harrods or Hamleys?

(18 Posts)
littlegirl Mon 29-May-06 13:54:54

Hi!

We will spend the weekend in London and I want to spend a couple of hours in a toy store so my toddler can be deliriously happy among all the toys :-) If I can pick only one place, which should it be, Harrod's or Hamleys? Thanks!!

LadySherlockofLGJ Mon 29-May-06 14:07:07

Harrods.

At least then you will have the pleasure of wandering around the food halls afterwards.

UCM Mon 29-May-06 15:01:54

I would say Hamleys, but will second the trip round Harrods food hall. Actually if you go to Hamleys, Fortnum & Mason isn't far. Thats luvverly.

They have people demonstrating toys in Hamleys, but I have never been in Harrods Toy dept.

dublindee Mon 29-May-06 15:03:03

Hamleys DEFINITELY! It's a paradise for kiddies big and small - if you get my drift!

suzywong Mon 29-May-06 15:06:38

Definitely Harrods, as LGJ says there will be quite a come-down after going deliriously happy/beserk in a toy store and you may be in need of the Krispy Kreme concession or the icecream parlour or the deli, and there isn't anywhere really to feed and water a hyper toddler on Regent Street.

Twiglett Mon 29-May-06 15:07:25

the advantage of Hamleys is there's a Hobbs across the road

bluesky Mon 29-May-06 19:51:56

Harrods toys always seems calmer, Hamleys is very busy, hyper and buy, buy, buy with all the sales people demonstrating etc. Lots of escalators rides in Hamleys as it is on lots of floors.

LadyTophamOfHattingford Mon 29-May-06 19:54:16

OMG...harrods.

I'd never go in Hamleys with a child. It would be a form of mental torture for both of you....

FloatingOnTheMed Mon 29-May-06 19:55:37

Hamley's is very stressful!

yomellamoHelly Mon 29-May-06 19:57:38

Harrods. All on one floor - so you get to relax and follow your lo around without the stress of lifts and escalators.
Our ds loved all the cabinets etc on the ground floor jewellery section too and was really interested in all the stuff on display in the food hall.

suejonez Mon 29-May-06 20:01:39

Don't Harrods also have a pet dept - you could go look at the fishes! That was a while ago probably not there any more but we used to go look at the bunnies in Harrods.

kid Mon 29-May-06 20:08:52

We took a 4 and 7 year old to Hamleys and Harrods recently.
Harrods had more toys for the children to play with where as in Hamleys, people were demonstrating the toys for you.

IlanaK Mon 29-May-06 20:14:28

Definately HArrods. Hamleys has gone really down hill. I live locally to it and never go there with the kids. Harrods toy department is vast and lovely. On weekends, they almost always have a "character" there like Barbie, Spot, etc. They often have little activities to do on the weekends too.

WibblyMummy Mon 29-May-06 20:26:54

Neither - Daisy and Tom, King's Road. Department store exclusively for kiddies! Fantastic book room where they often have sticking/colouring at the weekends, there are free carousel rides and every 30 mins a Peter and the Wolf automated puppet show upstairs. 2 3/4 year old DS1 loves it while I browse the gorgeous clothes. And more toys than you can shake a stick at.

Twiglett Tue 30-May-06 08:35:11

btw I think everyone is being remarkably restrained in not commenting on the fact that taking an 18 month to a toy store is an exercise in futility .... really he'd have more fun running around a park or adventure playground .. so take him to whichever store you fancy visiting .. my vote still goes for Hamleys .. due to Hobbes

littlegirl Tue 30-May-06 09:03:04

Wow, thanks for all the answers and good advice! I think we will take a little trip to Harrods where he can play with the toys.

Oh, visiting Harrods is just a tiny part of our stay! Trust me, we have planned a lot of running-around-in-parks time He's crazy about toy stores though so this is a little extra treat.

UCM Tue 30-May-06 17:33:05

Twiglett, you are quite right, *I do* have immense fun in Hamleys *by myself*. I have never ever taken DS in there

Californifrau Tue 30-May-06 18:08:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: