Talk

Advanced search

FEAR OF FLYING

(7 Posts)
Hollyboo Mon 29-May-06 11:44:27

Does anyone have a fear of flying or has anyone done something to get over it? I was thinking of hypnotism but I don't know if it works.

shanks313 Mon 29-May-06 12:28:56

I have a fear of flying and I think I even posted on here bout it a few months back
Im scared of turbelence and terrorism
Last year,we booked to go to Paris by plane for our honeymoon and the night before,I had a panic attack and had to book Eurostar instead.

Guess what I did this year......we booked a dream holiday in Vancouver Canada.
I was very nervous and felt like backing out alot but I went through with it.
I found fear of flying forums and websites very useful and certainly cut back on my nerves.Alot of people dont recommend medication although hypnotism seems to do people well.
I have read that Rescue emedy is very good to have and it certainly helped me.
My flights were not too bad,we had very bad turbelence over Vancouver but it hasnt put me off trying to go back next year

BeetrootOldDeer Mon 29-May-06 12:34:31

yes i have .

Go for NLP counseling..check it out on the web.

paul Mckenna type stuff.

Works wonders

Hollyboo Mon 29-May-06 12:59:07

Thanks for that. I never minded but I was flying back from Rome a few years ago and the turbulence was really bad. I've been on flights since but I hate that helpless feeling when the plane takes off and you can't do anything about it. Flew to Dubai christmas before last and although I had a panic attack on the way I was fine coming back. Would love to be able to just get on a plane and not worry.

bettythebuilder Mon 29-May-06 13:19:04

Since you can get on a plane, it sounds like a few sessions of relaxation and self hypnosis might help - it teaches you relaxation techniques, which may well help you feel more in control. I had a course for a fear of needles to help me through those pregnancy blood tests, and it really helped.

Hollyboo Mon 29-May-06 14:05:59

Yeah think I'll try something like that. Just something to get me through it because it would be the first time on a plane with a baby. Don't weant to be a nervous wreck, you know? I can get on a plane so I'm not an extreme case, just that flight a few years ago scared the bejesus out of me! I know two people who can't get on a plane without medication... I'd hate to be that bad.

tribpot Mon 29-May-06 15:10:39

Weirdly, I think I was less nervous flying with ds than before I had a baby (my big thing is turbulence as well). I think because I was focused on him and worrying that he was okay, I forgot to be afraid of hurtling through space!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: