Talk

Advanced search

Authentic antipasti in Rome?

(7 Posts)
bedmonster Thu 23-May-13 21:26:40

I'm going to Rome in a few weeks with a friend and we're both looking forward to some amazing food. We are both what I would describe as being 'into food' although neither of us are ponces, promise!
So does anyone have any recommendations for places that stood out as being really good rather than just mediocre for a bite to eat?

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 23-May-13 21:45:11

We were in Rome three weeks ago. I can't remember anywhere specific to recommend but there is such a great choice of restaurants you will have lots of choice. Our favourite area was around the Pantheon. There are some beautiful old lanes there packed with great restaurants. TBH I ate better outside of Rome but I think that was because there were less tourists.
Hopefully someone can actually name a place for you.

bedmonster Thu 23-May-13 22:07:53

I sort of thought that as it's a major tourist trap that the food might just be a bit run of the mill, but we are meeting up with friends for lunch on one of the days by the Pantheon so will look round the old lanes.
Thankyou! smile Did you have a good time there? I'm really looking forward to it, so much so that I hope I don't come home disappointed! And I hope the weather was good for you, it looks awful at the moment.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 23-May-13 22:18:49

It was fucking awesome! What a city, there's old stuff everywhere. We did a three week tour of Tuscany (Lucca, Pisa, Florence, Chianti region, all the hill top towns) but Rome was the best of all of it. Truly astonishing.

Weather was mixed but better than the south of France where I live.
You may not have a gastronomic feast there but I guarantee you'll eat like kings.

bedmonster Fri 24-May-13 07:26:58

Your tour sounds awesome!
I'm so glad to hear that, we are more 'sit and watch the world go by' than 'marching round churches' but I'm looking forward to it immensely smile

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Fri 24-May-13 09:40:09

Ours was more of a tour of the pizzerias and gelato shops than of churches wink

bedmonster Fri 24-May-13 12:42:25

Excellent choice. I think ours will be similar, hopefully with some sunshine to be able to sit and enjoy wine as we people watch smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now