Talk

Advanced search

USA Fly Drive East Coast need help with what to visit

(14 Posts)
SecondhandRose Sun 21-May-06 20:00:53

Next Easter flying into Washington DC and then taking 12 nights to get down to Orlando and flying out of there. Places we def want to go Busch Gardens Williamsburg and historic trail of Wi'burg. Paramount Kings Dominion theme park near Richmond. Want to go to Charleston and Hilton Head (DH golf).

What else should we see and do kids DS 12 and DD 8. What about the Blue Ridge Mountains? We were thinking of spending a day in DC having a nose about then driving down part of the way of the mountains and then cutting across Charlottesville towards Richmond.

What do you think? Anyone been? Anyone live there?

moondog Sun 21-May-06 20:06:04

Lovely
Spent a fair bit of time in NC,SC and Georgia.
In NC,worked near Ashville which is lovely lovely lovely.
Savannah and Charleston are completely gorgeous,have also done a lot of MLK relatedstuffin Atlanta.

I would by pass Orlando and go to Alabam,a,Gulf of Mexico (Biloxi and so on) then up to Lousiana.

Not American though.
Just love love love the whole Southern thing!

SecondhandRose Sun 21-May-06 20:08:31

Have to go to Orlando - have a house there!!!

moondog Sun 21-May-06 20:09:06

lol
No excuses then.
It will be great fun.

Earlybird Sun 21-May-06 20:54:11

Agree with Moondog's tips, as I too have spent alot of time around the southest. Some of the most beautiful beaches in America are along the coast of North/South Carolina, Georgia and the gulf coast. There is also alot to do in Atlanta - Stone Mountain, and I think there is a new aquarium that's just opened there. Google for the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce or State Tourism Dept.

Moondog, not sure about Biloxi or Louisiana following the hurricane. Think it's not a great place to go these days.

eidsvold Mon 22-May-06 01:00:38

Tampa Bay and ST pete on the gulf side of florida are lovely - spent four months there.

St Augusta - very old city ocean side of FLorida - lovely to visit.

eidsvold Mon 22-May-06 01:05:36

DC is fab - washington monument - whole mall area, capitol, can do an FBI tour - very interesting, used to be able to do a pentagon tour - also cool - but that was pre 9/11 when I did that.

Mt Vernon - home of George and Martha, smithsonian

KTeePee Mon 22-May-06 07:31:32

Take them to the Air and Space Museum in DC - lots of cool stuff there

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 22-May-06 07:37:35

The FBI tour is currently closed for renovations. I think it will be at least a year before it reopens.

National Air and Space museum is well worth a visit.

SecondhandRose Mon 22-May-06 08:04:05

I think we're going to need more than 12 nights at this rate! Keep it coming please.

eidsvold Mon 22-May-06 08:14:38

thanks for updating that atilla - it is a number of years since I have been there

Earlybird Tue 23-May-06 18:53:44

SecondhandRose - There's a full page feature about things to see/do in Atlanta in the new issue of Time Out (the laughter issue). Might be worth taking a look for ideas....

SueW Tue 23-May-06 19:25:04

When we lived nr Richmond we spent a day in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Planned to go to the Waltons place but turned left instead of right.

Lots of driving which wasn't great with a 9mo and a 3mo. I think I drifted through the whole Richmond experience in a state of sleep deprivation so can't remember much.

Did a day at Virginia Beach - this is quite cool.

SueW Tue 23-May-06 19:26:07

Also agree DC cool for a day out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: