Talk

Advanced search

Tickets for the Eiffel Tower sold out?

(15 Posts)
Kendodd Tue 14-May-13 15:06:22

We have one day in Paris and one of the things our children want to do is go up the Eiffel Tower but tickets are sold out for that day. If we just show up in the morning and wait can we buy tickets on the day or does this mean that all tickets are gone and they have none left at all?

quoteunquote Tue 14-May-13 21:03:30

www.restaurants-toureiffel.com/UK/EIFFEL-TOWER-RESTAURANTS-PARIS/CHAMPAGNE-BAR-EIFFEL-TOWER-PARIS.html

Portofino Tue 14-May-13 21:08:42

When are you going? As quote posted, booking a table in the restaurant lets you go straight up.

quoteunquote Tue 14-May-13 21:38:02

Book the table an hour and half before sunset, then you get daylight,sunset and Paris lit up in the dark while you eat.

Portofino Tue 14-May-13 21:47:51

The one on the first level though vs being bankrupted wink

Kendodd Wed 15-May-13 09:27:35

We were going to go first thing.

Our plan is-
Eiffel tower
Take a boat to Notre Dame
Have lunch somewhere around there
Luxembourg Gardens
Home

Our dcs are 4, 6 and 7.

I have heard queues are horrendous to buy tickets to go up the Eiffel Tower, which suggests to me that it's not only a pre-bookable attraction. Does anyone know if I can just show up and queue even if the on-line booking is sold out?

We don't want to book a restaurant a) because we can't afford it and b) it's the wrong time of day, thanks for the advice though. We want to go right to the top and wanted to do our day in this order, not reversed, because it's more open ended, we can stay at Luxembourg Gardens as long as we feel like.

Thanks again and hopefully one of you will come back with more information?

TantrumsAndBalloons Wed 15-May-13 09:29:58

You can buy on the day. The queue is very long though

puddock Wed 15-May-13 09:30:29

Do they definitely want to go up it rather than see it from e.g. Champs de Mars? There was an article in the paper on Sat about Paris with small children; thought you might like a look: www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/may/10/paris-with-kids-family-friendly

Mama1980 Wed 15-May-13 09:33:48

If you don't want a tour you can buy on the day. Be aware though the queues are very long very quickly! I used to live in Paris and people regularly queued for hours.

Nicolaeus Wed 15-May-13 09:38:11

For an excellent view of paris try tour montparnasse. Have never queued for it and a plus is that the eiffel tower is in the view!

Its Near luxembourg gardens too

louloubelle Wed 15-May-13 09:42:15

I recently took my 9 year old to Paris. All advance tickets were sold. We got to the base of the tower at 845, there are 2 or 3 queues, one for pre bought, one for normal queuing and one for the walk to the 2nd floor.We walked to the 2nd floor, about 680 steps and got the lift from there to the top. You will have to buy another ticket on the 2nd floor, and there is a short queue. Depends if you think your older 2 can walk, and if you can part carry the 4 year old. The gates open at 930, we had to queue for 30 mins or so before they opened (ie just before 9)then 15 mins for bag search etc (can't take a huge bag up, day/small rucksacks fine.)We then got a boat trip for an hour which was lovely, then walked to Louvre and back. About 6 or 7 miles in a day, but she is a good walker.
I would aim to get there just before 9, and be prepared to queue, but take a few croissants for the queue!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 15-May-13 09:54:00

We walk up, even when dd was very little. Makes it into much more of an adventure and you feel like you deserve the view!

Kendodd Wed 15-May-13 10:27:08

If we get there at say...9am, how long do you think we'd have to queue for? It's a Wednesday in August.

I don't really want to do the steps because we'll have to do a lot of walking that day and don't want them tried out before we even start.

BTW thank you all for your expert knowledge!

Barbie1 Wed 15-May-13 10:29:44

Keep checking on line, some times they release more.

I live in Paris and they do update the booking website weekly. The wait will be horrendous in aug without tickets, unless you get there first thing in the morning.

Mama1980 Wed 15-May-13 10:46:18

In August tbh I think the queues will be bad by 9 am. I second keep checking the booking website. The whole area is jammed in August generally just to warn you. But the view is magical smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now