Talk

Advanced search

Can I take prepared sandwiches and snacks for a toddler onto a Virgin Atlantic flight to US?

(11 Posts)
nomorekisses Thu 09-May-13 21:28:59

It says I can take 'infants food' but not quite sure what this means? Stressing he won't eat the airplane food, so am taking prepared stuff. Is this allowed?

TIA

CMOTDibbler Thu 09-May-13 21:37:03

Yes, but you won't be able to take jelly/yogurt through security. Leave left overs on the plane

givemeaclue Fri 10-May-13 09:20:54

Yes but nothing liquid

BiddyPop Fri 10-May-13 09:34:42

I was checking US Customs the other day for similar reasons (7yr old but with food issues) - and my plan is to bring some with me (dry foods), buy sambos etc and fill water bottles after security (DH brings his Bobble bottle all the time and no hassle once it's empty at security - but he refills in the lounge with Evian, we'll be at water fountain on tap).

But it also looks like it's not as bad as I feared for bringing things off the plane either (we have an internal flt afterwards). It looks like hard cheeses are ok, but not liquid cheeses (cottage cheese) or yoghurt. Fruit and veg are ok (except anything citrus) and dried fruits, muesli bars etc all fine. And I think I am ok to bring my Barry's teabags for my morning cuppa too.

NO MEAT - so eat your ham sambo on board or leave it behind. Or your pepperami or whatever.

Check the US Customs website yourself though to be sure of the things you are likely to want: US Customs

MOSagain Fri 10-May-13 10:23:03

I always take packed lunches for my youngest two when I travel to the States as they are fussy. Obvious restrictions as others have said are liquids but of course you can purchase those airside.

Can't take meat off plane but to be honest, by the time you get there you wouldn't want them to eat it then if it hadn't been eaten.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 10-May-13 11:02:01

I also bring along food for the flight and have taken foodstuffs into the US.

Dried fruit is alright to take into the US however, anything like an apple or banana however, is not. Any uneaten fruit should be left behind on the aircraft along with any uneaten sandwiches.

OldBeanbagz Fri 10-May-13 16:45:52

Having been on a Virgin Atlantic flight i'd say it would be a very good idea to take your toddler some food. The kids meals were awful on the flight we took!

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Sat 11-May-13 12:07:08

On arrival to the US, Any food, whatever it is, anything you can eat, needs to be declared on your customs form. Even if you think its allowed, DECLARE IT!! US customs do not have a sense of humour and will fine you heavily for undeclared items. Dogs patrol most baggage halls. Dont risk it. Read your forms and declare any food anf you will be fine.

TomRoss Wed 15-May-13 08:48:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JonesH Wed 15-May-13 10:39:48

I was also wondering about the protocol regarding food on an aeroplane, I will be flying to crete which is around 5 hours, I do not think there was the option to arrange some lunch on the plane, but rather than having to buy food at the airport due to dietary requirements (and expense) I was hoping to bring my own food, but it's been a while since i've flown and I can remember! Can I bring sandwiches and snacks, obviously no bottles of water through security, to bring on the plane?

Yonihadtoask Wed 15-May-13 10:44:23

I always take my own snacks on a flight. (because I am tight and don't want to pay their prices). However I always eat it on board -and don't take any off with us.

Yes, to US customs declaration. Fill out the forms fully. If in doubt bin the foods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now