Talk

Advanced search

Spain this summer with (currently unborn) baby ...

(8 Posts)
Mummy321 Thu 09-May-13 13:34:10

Hi

I am keen to go on holiday this summer. DC2 is due end June and I wont be allowed to go past 41 weeks so know she will be here first week July at the latest.

Have school aged DC1 so am thinking 24/8 to 2/9. So DC2 should be 7-9 weeks.

I want to book now as flights are reasonably priced and will only go up. But my thoughts are:

- am I mad to take baby this little to somewhere so hot? I guess Spaniards have babies in this climate tho! We'd be at PIL apartment so we know the area/can keep baby inside a fair amount etc
- is it ok re jabs etc?
- presumably i can pre-book the baby and give the airline the name later?
- travel insurance - what if complications and i/the baby cant go - will I get money back for all the flights?
- I'm fairly happy re getting birth certificate/passport etc.

Anything else I am not considering?
THanks in advance.

homebythesea Thu 09-May-13 13:43:55

Of those issues I would be most concerned about insurance cover- the birth of your baby is not exactly an unforseeable event grin

Why give yourself the stress of having to organize passport etc (at the busiest time for the passport office)? Why not wait till October half term?

noramum Thu 09-May-13 15:20:34

You may have a difficult birth. Your baby may have issues like colic, reflux, being a grumpy or needy one.

August is the hottest season in Spain, friends went there and vowed never again as you are just indoors or in the shade. Won't it be unfair to your older child sitting inside because the baby can't go out?

Why don't you look for something in the UK? No issues with transporting any baby equipment via a plane and do a week in half-term?

CwtchesAndCuddles Thu 09-May-13 20:12:24

I was in spain that time last year and it was boiling!!!

I think I would rather wait and go later in the year when it's not so hot and you have had more of a chance to recover from the birth.

Fluffy1234 Thu 09-May-13 20:54:40

I went to Tenerife (at Christmas) when DS1 was 10 weeks and to Cyprus (october half term) when DS2 was also 10 weeks and had really lovely holidays. I think I would check out temperature in Spain for the end of August. I know it varies quite a bit depending on area. I went to Coma Ruga which is about an hours drive to Barcelona 2 years ago the second week of August the temperature wasn't that hot and there was some cloudy spells.
Personally I wouldn't take a baby somewhere where the temperature is in the 30's.

mummymeister Fri 10-May-13 07:37:49

have the baby first see how things are and then if you are all up to it grab a last minute deal. don't underestimate the time it takes to sort out new born passport though. also as others have said august is stupidly hot and it will make it v stressful if your baby doesn't like the heat and you are stuck in. would suggest if you really do decide to go that you pick somewhere less warm and go all inclusive with a kids club so your older dc doesn't feel it is all revolving around the newby. again don't underestimate the effect of a new sibling on existing ones they can be quite horrible to them sometimes.

poocatcherchampion Fri 10-May-13 07:40:06

we took our 10 week old to France in may last year. twas lovely but probably a bit cooler than s Spain. got the passport and booked it after she was born.

wigglesrock Fri 10-May-13 10:36:36

It'll be hot but you know that smile. I would go for it. You're staying in an apartment and area you know well. I went away when dd3 was 13 weeks. It was great but we went in June. We booked the babys flight under Infant Surname, then just confirmed name when we had one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now